Fill up on the same day station gets fuel is bad?

I heard that filling up while a tanker is filling the stations tanks is bad because it stirs up moisture and debris, and have even heard you should ask the station when they got their gas to allow 24 hours to let everything settle out. If I see a tanker at a station when I need gas I move on down the line. Is there any validity to that advice?

Most of todays high-volume gas stations get at least a load a day…Some require two loads a day to maintain inventory. Worry about something else…

if your gas station is having bad gas dropped off, then no matter when you go to buy it it will be crud.

if the station has crud in their tanks, it will get stirred up, but, usually the tanks will have to be cleaned anyway.

it is usually a problem if the station is an “off brand” cheapo place, since they tend to buy the dregs from distributors which are notorious for bad quality/ off spec gas. but, this is usually irrelevant of when the gas is delivered.

i follow the rule: if the outside of the station is poorly kept, and the bathrooms are poorly kept, then in all likely hood they never pay attention to the tanks either. sort of like assessing the professionalism by superficiality.

This may have been true 25 years ago, but not today. Gas pumps all have filters, so no debris can get in your tank, even if there is any in the station’s underground tanks. Getting water in your car’s fuel tank from a filling station is a million-to-one shot. It’s not impossible, but it’s highly improbable, tanker or no tanker.

Besides, unless you see the tanker, how do you know how long it’s been since the underground tanks were filled? Are you willing to take the word of the teenager behind the counter? How would you expect him or her to know?

You’re making your life more difficult than it needs to be.

This is not something I spend any time worrying about.

Chances are the tanks have to be sumped/strained on a regular basis. It has to be done at the airport, I know that for a fact. As others have said, no big deal.

I would not worry about it. All storage tanks have a certain amount of water in them. This is because gas and water don’t mix. The water is heavier and is at the bottom and the dirt, debris, dead birds, leaves, tree limbs, old tires, Jimmy Hoffa, etc., settle into the water and not in the gas. The pickup tube for the pump does not go deep enough so no water is sucked up into the pump.

If This Theory was Correct Then Here’s What An Aerial Photo Session Would Reveal …

The six o’clock news would pan past gas stations once in a while. Every gas station that had a fuel tanker parked in it or pulling away from it would have concentric rings of disabled vehicles radiating out from the pumps. Side streets, highways, and interstates would be littered with cars.

This has happened before, but only, very, very rarely out of hundreds of thousands of deliveries. Stations monitor the depth of water in their tanks. If or when it gets high enough to pose a problem, the water is pumped out.

When I worked at an airport, I used to “stick” the tanks to measure how much gas was in them. Also, we would smear green stuff on the bottom foot or two of the stick. When the stick was pulled, we read the gas and the water depth was indicated by how far up the green stuff had turned red. I don’t know how it’s done now, probably electronically, by satelite, rubber ducky, or some goofy thing.

Readers Digest
4. Don’t fill up if you see the tanker
If you happen to see a gasoline tanker filling the tanks at your local gas station, come back another day or go to a different station. As the station’s underground tanks are being filled, the turbulence can stir up sediment. Sediment in your gas can clog fuel filters and fuel injectors, causing poor performance and possibly necessitating repairs.
http://www.rd.com/advice-and-know-how/75-tips-to-keep-your-car-in-top-notch-condition/article28223.html

Chattanooga Times
Another reminder: if you see a gasoline truck pumping into the storage tanks when you stop to buy gas, absolutely unequivocally do NOT fill up your tank at that time. More than likely, the gasoline is being stirred up while the gas is being delivered, and chances are you might pick up some of the dirt that normally settles on the bottom of the station?s underground storage tank. Better to let that dirt and debris stabilize before it makes contact with your gas tank.
http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2008/jul/05/consumer-watch-station-owners-say-pump-gas-early-d/?columnists

I am not courageous enough, I think I’ll still pass if I see a tanker.

Unless You Have Always Run 24-Hour Surveilance At All The Stations You Frequent …

… then you, no doubt buy fuel unwittingly sometimes, right after that tanker has dumped its load and stirred the pot, and never know it. Do you have an arrangement with the station whereby they give you their delivery schedule or notify you when the truck arrives and departs? Did you know that some stations get gas delivered quite frequently?

I have personally logged literally millions of driving miles. Dittos for my wife. We have never had a problem with water or dirt in our gas. I replaced a fuel filter once, before required by miles because it rusted out and leaked.

Waterboy, I don’t get any meaningful information from Reader’s Digest unless it pertains to, never mind, they don’t even have that any more after the liberal take-over. The Chatanooga Times babe probably just found out that the gas is stored underground. She says all pumps have vapor recovery systems. They don’t where I live.

You may have a little water and dirt in the bottom of your car’s gas tank. I wouldn’t operate the vehicle after filling it, or perhaps wait another day, unless you want to “live life on the edge” like I do.

I’m sure you are right, and that is what a fuel filter is for. I found the above references as I was so surprised no one backed up what I guess I must call a superstition.