Not a question, but a bit of advice

The poster who is having fuel problems reminded me of something and I thought I would pass it along. I used to have a job supporting convenience store cash registers. I occasionally had to work on a pump (the electronic side at least) even though we had no training. It’s amazing what you can learn when you’re trying to get a problem fixed and get home.

Anyway, one of the things they told us when I trained was never to fill up at a gas station when the truck is filling the tanks. A lot of people think you can pick up crud or water from the tank when it’s close to empty. But the pickups do not go all the way to the bottom of the tank. They are suspended a few feet above so they DON’T pick that stuff up. Water is heavier than gasoline and will settle to the bottom and any sediment will settle as well. However, when the tanker is there filling the tanks, they are stirring that stuff up where it might be picked up. There are filters in the pump but it’s debatable how much they get changed anyway. Anyway, just thought I’d share. Some knew that already, I’m sure.

That subject has come up a few times, and stuck in my old fashioned ways, I still skip a station when I see a tanker, but the recap from threads seems to be that is old world thinking, and not to worry.

Yeah I never knew if it was true, but the guys that trained me had a lot more experience than me. To me it makes complete sense and it’s not worth the risk. I can tell you that I had to deal with pump companies in two different areas of my state and I know the one did little routine maintenance on the pumps. I’d hate to see the filters in the pumps they serviced.

hey thanks for the tip, I got watery gas once a long time ago, but I have no idea if there was a tanker truck filling the underground tanks at the time, I just cant remember now. In future I will look out for this.

Most gasoline has ethanol now which will dissolve the water so worry no more.

For the same reason, if you are stealing gasoline by siphoning gasoline out of someone else’s car, don’t put the siphon hose all the way to the bottom of the gas tank.

Post should be titled “Not a question” but have you heard this urban legend? pass it on or “things will happen”

So what is your opinion?

Heard about that, but where I live now, one is not allowed to pump gas when the truck is filling the tanks. You can park in front of the pump but it will not be turned on. I guess that will solve that one.

my opinion is that most “bad gas” claims come from mechanics who have given up on finding the real problem

Very true. Another one in that vein is “cleaned a bad wire connection”. (battery cable ends omitted of course)