Experiencing repeated browser crashes

interesting. I’ll do some more checking.

I have similar experiences as George. I’m using IE 11, Windows 7 Professional and Quest 1.5 MBPS DSL. I obviously don’t expect perfection. I endured several years of 30 KBPS (very rarely achieved) Dial-up. When I got 256 KBPS DSL I was ecstatic! I joked that the little old arthritic lady at my small town telephone exchange retired and her replacement was able to move the plugs around fast enough for DSL. About a year later it was up-graded to my current 1.5 MBPS. The only thing I experience which could be site related is occasionally when I click on CarTalk wanting to return to the list of threads I get my minimal toolbar and the red CarTalk “toolbar” at the top of the page. The rest of the page is blank. I tried refresh then community.cartalk.com in my favorites with no results. Exiting then re-entering the internet then clicking on cartalk through favorites works. It has happened twice so far today. I don’t lose any sleep over it.

Maybe @cdaquilacan tell us what % of users use Internet Explorer for surfing the Car Talk website.

George , why would they even care what system they use . Give up and join the new world , Internet Explorer is a dinosaur now.

I’ve got windows 10, and running Chrome and have had no problems.

1 Like

I quit using IE years ago. Switch to Chrome or Edge if you use Windows 10. I tell people to use ANY browser but IE to be honest. It isn’t supported by a lot of third parties anymore either so you are just asking for troubles. IE is going the way of the dinosaur and I fully expect some future update to Windows 10 will force people to use Edge vs. IE or make it very hard to run IE without jumping through hoops.

I run into some web apps that various companies use that are pretty legacy and still require IE. I feel this is a bad idea and have had to bypass security measures to make their apps work. Insurance companies were really behind the times with clunky old software although this seems to be changing.

I had one insurance company that bought a new Lenovo desktop but made IE the default browser. It kept crashing on the start page which was some Lenovo search site. Other sites were crashing as well but this was the big one. I reloaded Windows, thinking it was an OS corruption issue and that didn’t help. There were some other issues with corrupted files so this wasn’t a waste.

Anyway, the problem was still there. I had them switch to Chrome and the problem went away. Apparently their sites are now compatible with modern browsers.

Windows Vista and older need to either be upgraded or more likely recycled properly and replaced. As far as I know all the big browsers are no longer supported under these OSes. What OS is in use here? That is actually just as important to figuring this out.

You can also try resetting IE if you want. This won’t hurt anything and may help. You also want to make sure you are virus and malware free. These poorly written programs often cause all kinds of other issues unrelated to their original intent.

1 Like

Note to the Car Talk website IT gurus … whatever you’ve done, this problem seems to have been fixed. Haven’t experienced this problem in the past month. Thanks for your assistance :slight_smile:

Glad to hear. If it recurs, please let us know.

Windows 10 with Firefox. No crashes in years. Everyday thing with IE and Edge is the worst.

2 Likes

I always tell my customers with browser issues to dump IE if they are still using it. Unfortunately some have to use it because they use clunky web apps that haven’t advanced with the times. I prefer Chrome but any of the other big players are fine as well.

I had some older lady who liked to play certain online games and they were crashing with errors. I switched her to Chrome and all the problems went away. I don’t think the site was IE friendly either.