Engine swap

will a 4.3 v6 fit upto the tranny of a 2.2 4cyl gmc sonoma

totally different animal.

thanks just wanted to make sure so i could buy motor/tranny combo and how much i need to spend

I would imagine there would be a great difference in the Electric Conytol Module.

The 4.3 wont bolt to 2.2 tranny. The 4.3 will fit the truck. BUT if you have to ask and are doing it your self it will end up costing you a lot of money. More than its worth. You will need 1- 4.3 engine and tranny with matching wiring and computers/modules 2-mounts 3 - radiator 4- exs-system 5-drive shaft 6- front end parts to hold up the 4.3 7- fuel pump.Thats just a start.

With todays computerized controls and emissions tests, engine swapping have become a lost art…It seldom makes any sense today…It’s cheaper just to buy a V-6 truck…

I’ve known people who swapped different engines into cars back in the 1950s and there always seemed to be problems. A common swap was GM V-8 into a 1953 or later Studebaker. I’ve seen Chevrolet, Buick and Cadillac engines transplanted into these Studebakers. I had a high school classmate that installed a Cadillac V-8 into a 1951 Mercury. When it ran, it was fast. However, most of the time it didn’t run. My only engine swap was a Briggs and Stratton onto a lawnboy where the previous owner forgot to add oil to the gas and ruined the engine.

The one swap that has worked out well as far as I know, is by friend who replced the motor and transmission of his wife’s older Jaguar sedan with a Chevy 6 and two speed power glide. Anything, according to him was an improvement in reliability. I also replaced the Suzuki outboard with a Merc. which so far, has resulted in better tubing experience…acording to the kids.

The only car I ever owned which had a transplanted engine was my 2nd car, a 1968 Dodge Dart GTS that I bought when I was 21. The original engine in that car was a 383 Magnum (big-block); I bought the car After the transplant was done, and the transplanted engine (also a big-block) was a 440 Police Special from a big 1973 Dodge Monaco, and the engine itself had a pair of 1968-vintage hi-performance heads (with the big 2.08" intake valves) mounted on it. Since the car was already set up for a big-block, and even had the Torqueflite 727 transmission, the 440 was a direct drop-in, but just had more cubes, horsepower, and torque. The biggest expense I had with that car was fuel, because it could “pass everything on the road except a gas station” (LOL). An 18-gallon tank runs empty rather fast with a 440 drinking from it. Another notable expense was tires for the rear, since about every couple months the car would transform a pair of well-treaded tires into “racing slicks”. Once I considered swapping the Torqueflite for a 4-speed stick, but my auto shop teacher advised against it, saying that the engine’s massive torque would probably bend the undercarriage (unibody) if I did; glad I gave up that idea. It was still a very fun car to drive.