Engine swaps,a thing of the past?

The post from one of our readers wishing to change the engine in his FORD pickup made me ask myself “are there any vehicles out there in which a engine swap makes sense”?

I can remember small block V-8’s in 911’s and Nissan V-6’s in Westfhalia VW vans and big blocks in previous small block pickups but I really cant think there of a vehicle where this is pratical anymore.

Perhaps a V-8 in a previous V-6 F body (Camaro/Firebird)? maybe I am overlooking a really good well know swap out there.

Maybe V-8 or better V-6 in a late model Mustang?

Good question. I’m not sure engine swaps make sense on new vehicles. Except perhaps on a few isolated RWD vehicles.

Yeah, I know the “tuner” crowd does them, but they dump loads of money into it.

People do the engine swaps in Mustangs. I have seen 5.4L (with or without blower) in Crown Victorias in place of the 4.6, but the hood needs to be modified or a hole cut in it. There is a V10 modular in at least one. Those are. of course, in the “isolated” right wheel drive category.

The complications are predictable. For example, if you are not going to use the transmission that is already on the donor engine, you might have to fake or transform the speed sensor signal to the PCM computer.

One thing that has not changed from the olden days is that it is generally easier to swap an optional engine that was available on that vehicle.

Well, it depends entirely if the reason for the swap is caused by economics, or desire.

If you blow the engine in a '98 Porsche Boxster, a replacement engine will cost you about $13k dollars, not counting the cost of installation. That is also what the car itself is actually worth right now in most markets.

So, shoe-horning another drivetrain into the car that fits, say a Subaru flat 6 engine, might actually make sense, since they are considerably less expensive.

Now, if all you want is to make a car you have more powerful, then finances can go right out the window. One member of the Chrysler Crossfire forum just completed a project of putting the Mercedes SL500 V-8 engine into his Chrysler Crossfire, that came from the factory with the 3.2 liter Mercedes V-6 in it.

He used all Mercedes parts, and the engine and wiring harnesses plugged right in.
He only had to change a couple things, like the left engine mount, the radiator fans, and a radiator hose. He then had the computer reprogrammed with the stock MB programming from the V-8 car, and had to install a remote starter button to get the car to crank over.

Car runs perfect.
He’s extremely happy with his conversion.

So it really is just a matter of why you want to do the swap, and then executing your plan to do so.

BC.

as long as there are older cars and junk yards, there will be swaps.

make sense? it varys person to person and application.
some guy with a corolla; never. a guy with an old chevy; let there be small block.

and for power building in a good car (American, older, not FWD), its the only way to fly. pull an engine out of a junkyard, get it running, add vehicle and 4 speed. boom. instant fun.

this happens because of a lack of cash. I can afford a SBC, but not an LS9 from GMPP.

"Now, if all you want is to make a car you have more powerful, then finances can go right out the window. One member of the Chrysler Crossfire forum just completed a project of putting the Mercedes SL500 V-8 engine into his Chrysler Crossfire, that came from the factory with the 3.2 liter Mercedes V-6 in it.

He used all Mercedes parts, and the engine and wiring harnesses plugged right in.
He only had to change a couple things, like the left engine mount, the radiator fans, and a radiator hose. He then had the computer reprogrammed with the stock MB programming from the V-8 car, and had to install a remote starter button to get the car to crank over. "

For some people, driving a sleeper is nearly priceless.

Today, in many areas of the country, California certainly, you hit the “emissions test” wall. If the engine does not jibe with the cars VIN, you fail… Now begins the involved process of getting your car certified as a home-made vehicle with a new VIN issued by the state…It can be a nightmare. Few mess with it anymore…

Ah, a child of the Daimler-Chrysler marriage.

Interesting swap. Odd, but interesting.

“a guy with an old chevy; let there be small block.”

exactly. Subframe rusted through on my 74 Nova. Pulled the drivetrain out in the morning, towed the body to a junkyard, dropped off the Nova body and picked up a 73 El Camino body. Was driving the Elky by dinner.