Engine RPM's

I have a 1995 Toyota Tacoma with the 4 cylinder engine and automatic transmission. When the engine is cold, especially first thing in the morning, and I start the truck, the engine RPM’s go immediately to 2100, stay at that speed for 20-30 seconds, then slow down to about normal idle speed. Occasionally, when the engine is turning over 2000 RPM’s it will hesitate a moment, then rev right back up.

I’ve brought this up to the dealership several times when it was in for scheduled maintenance. They say it is part of the normal warm up process & saves gas. I thought it was bad on the engine to rev it up when it was cold. Please advise. Thanks, Joe

While 2100 rpm might be slightly high, it’s not out of the ordinary. Cold engines always rev higher than normal idle speed when started. As the engine warms the idle should return to normal, which you say it does.

The only thing odd here is the hesitation you mentioned.

Revving a cold engine to high rpms is not good, but 2K won’t hurt it.

It’s part of the normal warm up process but does not “save gas”. The engine needs a bit extra gas when cold to keep running.

I don’t understand the hesitation. Context would help. Is this happening as it’s idling warming up?

My 2000 Ford Explorer does that on really cold mornings. Sounds normal to me, too.

I agree with the others, nothing to worry about. In the future, take your Tacoma to a mom & pop mechanic with your concerns. No need to be taking a 15 year old vehicle to the dealer. It sounds like they don’t even know what they’re talking about.

jmw

Normal…It’s designed to do that…Every vehicle I’ve owned since the 60’s was designed to do that.