4 cylinder 1992 camry

since having my engine replaced with a used engine block my idle speed when I first start it up or when it is cold is around 2000rpm which lasts for about 2-3 minutes until it begins to fall to the normal range of 1200-1400 and finally to 850 or 900rpm when warm. how can I fix this or is it okay to idle at 2000rpm for a couple of minutes? is it hurting anything?

thanks.

If you are in a cold climate, this is pretty much normal. If you are in Miami, FL you may want to have it checked out. It does no damage but wastes a couple ounces of gas. I have a 2001 Camry which does the exact same thing on cold days like today–it was about 10 degrees when I started it up this morning.

If everything else is OK, I’d leave it alone. As long as the idle settles into the 850 rpm range that is normal for a warmed up motor. You need a higher rpm on a cold motor and while this might be a bit too high, fixing the high rpm could cause more problems in some other area. This might just be your new normal operating process for this motor.

Thanks for your response. The higher speed isn’t hurting anything?

I think 2000 for 2-3 mins is a little high for a cold start, especially if it didn’t do it before. I don’t know what’s wrong, but I’d look for a vacuum leak, and if your engine is carbureted, something may be improperly adjusted with the choke.