Engine Noise - Honda Accord V6

2003 Honda Accord V6

My car makes this noise on a cold start, then the noise goes away after it warms up.

What are all the possible causes of a sound like this?

Thank You!!

I’m not sure about that, but at the risk of being impolite, can I ask if you have addressed the transmission defect in that car yet? I’m not being a smart alec. I ask, having had one.

Have you ever had the valves adjusted? This should have been done when the timing belt was replaced. For a 2003, you should be ready for the second timing belt. If it hasn’t been done yet, now is the time. This is an interference engine and if the timing belt fails, you will need a new engine. When the timing belt is replaced, have the valve lash adjusted.

gorehamj – Hi, Thanks for the reply. Yes, I’m pretty sure all the service bulletins are done. Thank You!

jtsanders – Thanks for your reply! Your comment make a lot of sense. Yes, the car is due for timing belt and valve adjustment. Thanks!

Do the valve covers have to come off to replace the timing belt on this engine?

Could you post another recording of you jazzing the throttle?

No, the timing belt work is all on the drive belt side of the engine. You access the valves by removing the valve cover on top of the engine. It says 3.0 VTEC on it and there are five bolts holding it on. Removal is simple. Pay the mechanic that replaces the timing belt to do it while it is in the shop. BTW, if you are not familiar with the timing belt replacement interval, it is every 105,000 miles or seven years, whichever comes first.

1 Like

I overexplained that. I glanced quickly and thought the OP posted the question. A simple no would have worked, but then I would have had to repeat it a dozen time to get to the minimum number of characters. :wink:

I’ve got 2 v6 accords 03 w/ 265,000 miles and an 06 with 150,000 miles. They both make this sound and have been running just fine. My dad drove the 06 over 2000 miles to New Mexico without a problem. Trying to fix the noise may cost unnecessary money better spent elsewhere

1 Like

Never a problem with my 03 265k or 06 150k accord v6. I also know odyssey owners who never had an issue. I know of quite a few oddssey and accords with high mileage between 200-300 k on original equipment.

Still, having the valves adjusted makes sense. If they are a little loose now and that’s what making the racket, adjusting them to the correct clearance will improve the sound problem and probably the engine performance a little too.

I’m usually a bit antsy about weighing in on noise recycled through computer speakers combined with a major league hearing loss and Tinnitus.

That being said, I’m taking a stab at a valve clearance issue. A very loose valve clearance issue.

If that is indeed the cause of the noise this needs to be sorted out. Allowed to linger,valve train damage can occur; meaning damaged cam lobes, valve stem mushrooming, and so on.

For what it’s worth, valve lash should be inspected every 30k miles but that is seldom ever done.

1 Like

Well… my car still has this problem. I’ve had the valves adjusted, and I’ve had a mechanic look at the issue, but still not fixed.
The car runs okay, but I would be happier if it was fixed.

0708Honda – you said your cars made this noise. Did you ever find out what caused it?

Thanks!

Here is the link to the sound file. It’s a 2003 Honda Accord V6. and it makes this sound when the engine is cold. When the engine is warm, the sounds goes away.

Did you shop connect an accurate oil pressure gauge to your engine as part of their attempt to diagnose the problem?