Electronic car seats

I have a Nissan Pathfinder and the electronic car seats on both the driver and passenger sides are not working. We took it to our regular mechanic to fix and he told us we had to take it to the Nissan dealer. The estimate for each seat to be fixed is about $1500.00. Does anyone know of a more inexpensive way to fix the seats?

You have almost no information here to work with. What did the dealer say was wrong with the seats? Surely they gave some reasoning for the $1500 price tag. Based on what you have provided so far, I would give two options; get another opinion/estimate from a different shop or fix it yourself. If you provide even a scrap of information on what symptoms you have or what the dealer quoted, perhaps someone can give better advice.

As an example, a friend’s seat stopped moving. The motor was running but it didn’t move. Took the seat out and the motor gearbox apart and found a stripped plastic gear. The Chevy dealer found the part on their system. $15 and two days later the seat was back in business. If the dealer didn’t have the part, we would have gone to the scrapyard and got a used gearbox. Either way, much cheaper than the dealer labor and materials.

Well since this vehicle does come with NON-electric seats you might look into what it would take to convert to mechanical seats. It may be simple…it may not be too.

Personally I don’t like electric seats. Wife has them in her Lexus…Press a button to move the seats back…then wait about 50 seconds for it to complete. Manual seats…I reach in …pull the lever…push seat back…takes about 3 seconds. I see no use what-so-ever for electric seats.

I like them because they give me more ways to provide a comfortable ride. I like to raise the seat up, tilt it back, and move it forward. that way I can have my arms reasonable straight while my body is comfortable. We’re all built differently, and it’s nice to get a chance to seat everyone in comfort.

Rupbert, you might find salvage yard seats at a better price than $1500 each. You can probably just switch the motors if that’s what it is. What about the fuse? Have you checked that?

Reeeeaaaallly inexpensive way: Get a DIY manual for the job.

Gee my MANUAL seats go back…forward…tilt…the ONLY adjustment electric seats can make that mine can’t is the lowering or raising…And I seriously doubt that adjustment will make that much of a difference.

the last 3 cars I’ve owned (VW) had a manual height adjustment.

“Gee my MANUAL seats go back…forward…tilt…the ONLY adjustment electric seats can make that mine can’t is the lowering or raising…And I seriously doubt that adjustment will make that much of a difference.”

It does for me, and I really don’t care whether it works for you, sweetie. Hugs and kisses, Mikie!:^P

It does for me, and I really don’t care whether it works for you

So you’re saying it’s NOT the adjustment…it’s the fact that you want to push the button instead of pulling a lever and manually moving it. What ever floats your boat.

That’s not what I said, Mike. My power adjustable seat does what I want because it goes up, down forward, back, and even tilts. Then I can adjust the rake if I want. That works for me by providing a wide range of adjustments. The manual seats I had before and still get in rental cars do not.

The seat will not move forward nor backward. The seat will still recline. The dealer said that a “kit” had to be ordered to fix the seat. I looked on the internet but could not find a kit for a Nissan Pathfinder electronic seat.