Driving while shooting!

Golf can be relaxing. In my case, I compete only against myself. I look on it as fun in the fresh air.

To keep this slightly vehicle related :wink: I will note that some of the most absurdly reckless driving I’ve ever observed has been beer fueled idiots driving golf carts.

2 Likes

Oh yea…they are real bad. I visited my sister who lives in a Golf Cart retirement community near Tampa Fl. Some of those geriatrics are the worse on the planet. They no longer have the ability to drive a car in public, so they stick to golf carts in this community.

1 Like

"Marnet,
Golf can be relaxing. In my case, I compete only against myself. I look on it as fun in the fresh air.
[/quote]

That is the way I feel about fishing and I try to find out of the way places not the poplar ones with a bunch of people around because likely as not there will be beer and I am not a big beer drinker and do not like a lot of people around me and one thing I can not stand is a drunk the only time I am likely to be in a bunch of people is if I go to a bigger town than where I live and get into so called rush hour traffic although nobody can be in a rush in that situation and to keep it car related I will drive out of my way to avoid such situations and as yesterday was a holiday I stay home to avoid any crowds and drunk drivers I never could figure out why a lot of people figure that they can’t have fun unless they are drinking I like to have my good sense about me.

1 Like

Unfortunately it’s not. In PA, guns can be bought and sold at flea markets and weekly markets and they don’t bother with any checks whatsoever.

Completely agree with that!

On golf courses it’s usually the young guys trying to out brag and out swagger others that drive the craziest with little regard for safety or basic courtesies.

Best long distance golf shot I ever made was one day when a rowdy foursome of beer soaked smart(bleep) had been pushing my then elderly dad and me walking the course despite that we were keeping up with the group ahead of us. They hit into us one time too many with one ball whizzing by my head, two more landing a bit in front of me and one hitting me in the leg. I turned around and hit one of their balls right back with the longest, straightest, anger fueled five-wood shot of my life that hit the front of their golf cart like a bullet. Then I hit all three other balls into the adjacent lake. Dad had been ready to take on all four of the punks in my defense but after that the punks turned tail for the clubhouse, driving like maniacs.

3 Likes

Let’s not forget the drunken boaters who kill loads of people each year.

2 Likes

That is true in most states, IIRC.

2 Likes

That is because it is a private sale and not from a licensed FFL dealer. A licensed dealer must do the check, a private sale is not required to in many states. A flea market or gun show sale between individuals is a private sale and the BATF is cracking down on some of those “private” salesmen that obviously are actually acting as dealers but don’t have an FFL. Nonetheless it is still a felony for a prohibited person to buy or be in possession of a gun.

In some states even private sales must be through an FFL dealer and a check must be done.

1 Like

Maybe time to shift gears. As they say “a man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still”.

2 Likes

The difference between trap/skeet, car racing, and golf is that the first two turn money into noise, but in golf, the loudest thing is the clothes worn by golfers. Where else can you wear clothes that would embarrass a Miami pimp? Although if you sit in the grandstands of a NASCAR race, I suppose you can dress like Larry the Cable Guy. Where does he get those sleeveless shirts anyway?

1 Like

I believe that private sales in PA do require background checks. They definitely don’t get done a large number of times.

1 Like

Yes, indeed. But apparently handguns only, per this reference site. Long guns are exempt

https://www.findlaw.com/consumer/consumer-transactions/private-gun-sale-laws-by-state.html

I’m not sure it is even possible to embarrass a Miami pimp… but I do NOT want to do the research on that one! :sunglasses:

1 Like

Which should be Federal.

another PA law with loopholes that you can drive a Mack truck through, imagine that
:roll_eyes:
Granted I haven’t been out to either of my close local flea markets since the pandemic began, but when I’ve been out there, I’ve definitely observed far more pistols and revolvers being sold than riffles or shotguns

1 Like

The ATF can’t query the database to see who buys a lot of firearms. That could put the straw-men (and women) out of business. The data system, as ATF calls it, allows law enforcement to look for a specific record, but the system is not set up to search for similarities in multiple records. I don’t mind people owning a few for hunting purposes, but buying a few every couple of weeks is highly suspect.

1 Like

Hi all, it’s been a few days since I checked but I see this has mostly gotten away from cars. Can we please bring it back closer to topic? Thanks.

Nah, the loudest thing on a golf course is the swearing. I learned to be selectively deaf on the course at an early age.

But we golfers do have cleats on our shoes! It gives our driving better traction. :grin:

2 Likes

Badda Boom…Tish!

(virtual Rim-Shot!)

To bring it back to automobiles, some shop for cars by testing the trunk size with their golf bag, my brother would check if his picnic basket fit.
I had an ‘easy rider’ gun rack in my IH Scout.

1 Like