Shooting while driving

People who enhance the dangers of their driving with their firearms, excerpted from a list
at the ‘Albuquerque Journal’:

Jan. 3, 2019 - 1400 Mercantile NE: Officers responded to the Panda Express
after a man shot himself in the thigh while driving.

Jan. 26, 2019 - 1305 Edith NE: A woman decided to clean her gun in her vehicle
and it discharged, sending a bullet through her finger.

April 1, 2019 - 10000 Coors Bypass NW: A man fired a gun in his vehicle and accidentally shot his friend in the foot.

May 21, 2019 - 2510 Central: A man was trying to unload his gun in his car when
he shot himself in the leg. The man told police he was on his way to Kirtland Air Force Base.

May 25, 2019 - 10200 block of Del Mastro SW: A man shot himself in the leg as he
got into a vehicle.

June 12, 2019 - San Mateo and Interstate 40: Officers responded to the hospital after a woman was shot in the leg. The woman told police she was in a car with a man named Jacob - whom she had just met - when a gun went off. The woman got out of the vehicle and Jacob
said “(expletive), I’m sorry” before driving off. She told police she at first thought it was accidental but “is now unsure.”

Sept. 20, 2019 - 98th and Central: A man shot himself while in his car.

Oct. 25, 2019 - 3010 Juan Tabo NE: A man shot himself in the leg trying to unholster a gun in his vehicle in the Lowe’s home improvement parking lot.

Dec. 26, 2019 - 5151 Lang NE: A man shot himself in the foot in a vehicle in the parking lot of Cabela’s.

Those folks were all idiots . . .

What’s your point, Troll . . . ?! :confused: :conf

Lots of tools are misused by people not following safety procedures. I think I was 13 when I took my first gun safety course so I could hunt without adult supervision. Drilled into your head, a gun is always loaded, never to be pointed at anyone. A gun had to be unloaded and either broken down or in a case for transport in a car.

I’m thinking it’s time for a permanent ban…
… on vehicles. It certainly seems that all of these shooting incidents could have been prevented if vehicles weren’t so readily available! “Ba-dum-bum-CHING!” :drum:
CSA
:palm_tree: :wink::palm_tree:

Does anyone compile such data nationwide? Several family members and friends have been convinced they need to protect themselves and carry firearms after a few hours of training at a range. And the hand gun of choice is of course and automatic. Often an automatic with no safety that requires de-cocking for safety. Dealing with an armed criminal might be a safer situation than riding with a clueless gun owner.

3 Likes

There was an incident last year where a 16 year old shot a German tourist driving a rental car on a narrow 2 lane highway near the Rocky Mountains… The tourist was going too slow for the lad’s liking, and shot him while passing him. It caused quite a stir in the German papers reinforcing the still held concept of the “Wild West”… The shooter will be sentenced as an adult.

The tourist sustained brain damage and is still recovering in Germany.

Amusement.

I remember the guy who read so much about the dangers of smoking that he gave up reading.

4 Likes

I remember the guy who heard that the majority of car accidents happen within 20 miles of home. So, he moved! “Ba-dum-bum-CHING!” :drum:
CSA
:palm_tree: :sunglasses: :palm_tree:

Makes me glad I live in New Jersey.

Clueless gun owners come in all shapes and sizes:

Wouldn’t it be great if some organization would dedicate itself to gun safety?

The Boy Scouts had a marksmanship merit badge long ago and my troop’s scoutmaster was a great guy who took his job seriously. The rifles were as basic as you could get but the basics of being safe were drilled in well enough. Of course my education in map and compass reading and finding my way around through the back woods was better than most 2Lts I served under in the service. I understand that the Scouts are fading these days. What a shame.

The guy that tuned up our 58 Chev at the dealer was my instructor and he was very good. Grass roots at its finest.

Had NRA training, lifetime membership and medals for 50 meter, 100 meter and 150 meter training at my summer camp in 1968.

2 Likes

I was in the NRA for many years but they went way to far for me to stay in. I dropped out in the early 90s and in my opinion the organization has continued to sink from a responsible position to that of pedaling guns and ammo regardless how detrimental the products are to the public. And today that organization appears to be as corrupt as the Mexican police.

When I joined years ago a long time member had to recommend an applicant. It seemed difficult to join. I would guess all that is necessary these days is the dues.

3 Likes