Driver's License Photo Freedom

Can’t agree more.

One side of their mouth the tell their listeners to send money to help the poor and hungry.

Then on the other side of their mouth they tell them that if you’re poor and hungry it’s god will.

And he’s as wacko as ever.

1 Like

My favorite is Mac Hammond of Living Word Christian Center, who has opined on a number of occasions that God wants him to be rich. God wants him to have a private jet, and a stunt plane, and God wanted him to get a Porsche so that he would get a speeding ticket and convince the cop to attend his church.

Years ago, there was Reverend Ike, who sold “blessed cloths” to his followers for significant money.
Somehow or other, I was on his mailing list for awhile, and his newsletter was filled with testimonials from “real people” :smirk: who had gotten miraculous results by paying him for one of his blessed cloths.

My favorite testimonial was from a woman who was pictured in front of what appeared to be a sharecropper’s tarpaper shack, and she is standing next to a brand new (circa early '70s) Lincoln. Mrs. X stated, I got my blessed cloth last week, I prayed for a new car, and today this beautiful Lincoln arrived!

Truly a miracle!
:smiling_imp:

3 Likes

Since we are off topic , how about Oral Roberts ’ Holy Water packets that turned out to be just plain tap water ’ .

Don’t forget Peter Popoff, who used to heal people by smacking them, hard!, in the forehead. He liked to say their stumbling to the ground was proof that the Lord was working within them, when it was pretty obvious that they were stumbling around because he just brained them.

James Randi famously did a hidden camera investigation in which his radio scanner picked up the earpiece Popoff was using. They’d have people fill out “prayer cards” with their name and ailment before the service, and then his wife would read off the info to him so that he could “miraculously” know who people were and what illness they had.

Those who are as old as I am may recall his “tent shows” from the early-mid '50s, when he would “cure” people. :smirk:

Later, he decided to go…mainstream…and he apparently thought that people would forget his sideshow days.

Do you really think the bowl of holy water when you enter a Catholic church didn’t come from the city tap? Where else would it come from? A pump, rain water?

How do the Holy Water packets differ from bottled water. I guess the Holy water is.blessed tap.water and the bottled water is filtered tap water.

The difference is that a priest blesses the water and therefore makes it “holy water.” The original source of the water is immaterial.

Popoff (not Roberts) sent out packets of water “from a magical spring in southern Russia” that would heal people, and would also grant whatever they asked Jesus for if they drank it and then sent the empty packet along with at least 19 bucks back to Popoff. Only as it turned out, the water was not from a spring in Russia, magic or otherwise, but was in fact bottled water from Costco, which duped enough people into donating that for awhile he was making an estimated $600,000 per day.

If you tend toward atheistic viewpoints, then there’s little difference between holy water and Popoff water, but at least the holy water actually is what it claims to be, which is nothing more than water that a priest blessed.

God has told me He wants you all to be millionaires, and to bring this discussion back to cars. Can I get an amen?

4 Likes

Amen *+++++tttt++++

On the other hand, the Catholic Church doesn’t make money off of selling it.
My car is thoroughly holy by now, I’ve “blessed” it so often. However, my grandfather had a Pentecostal car, it had him “speaking in tongues” more than once.

1 Like

OK, you are a catholic car now

Now that we’re on the subject of god-fearing good wealthy Christians

Nobody mentioned Ben Carson yet . . .

I believe he recently said poverty is a state of mind, or something to that effect :unamused:

I believe that statement could also apply to Ben Carson, based on some of his previous statements

I usually refrain from blanket statements but Ben Carson is an ?, Stretch to keep it car related, Ben Carson compares the press to ‘used car salesmen’, I know some used car salesmen, I trust them more

I would hardly call any highly successful neurosurgeon an “idiot” and I feel that calling people like that idiots is hyperbole. But comparing the press to used car salesmen? What an insult to used car salesmen!

2 Likes

You can be good at one thing and still be an idiot at other things. Dale Earnhardt was a brilliant driver, but an idiot when it came to basic safety precautions, for example.

Put another way, doctors are the mechanics of the medical world. I’m sure we’ve all known the mechanic who was very, very good at their job, but you’d never trust them as a lead engineer to design a car. Carson may have been a very talented neurosurgeon, but that has no bearing on whether or not he’s competent in non-surgical fields.

2 Likes

You’re hitting pretty close to home now with your broad categorizations and assassinations of the medical field so how about just scurrying back to cars or at least drivers licenses.

Oh if that was the only idiot thing he said.

2 Likes

I find it interesting that you’re on a car forum populated by mechanics, and you think my characterization of medical doctors as analogous to mechanics would possibly be meant as an “assassination.” Did you really mean to suggest that referring to someone as a mechanic is insulting?

Be nice. I get that you’re upset with me because I think Ben Carson is an idiot. But the man thinks the pyramids stored grain. He thinks the ACA is slavery. He thinks the Big Bang didn’t happen because if it did, everything would be moving in only one direction and nothing could ever change that direction. He thinks Darwin formulated the theory of evolution because Satan whispered it into his ear and oh by the way when he stated this opinion he referred to those who study evolution as “high-falutin’ scientists,” so the man himself has no respect for science.

He’s an idiot. Categorically.

4 Likes