Doing Clutch Replacement in Walmart Parking Lot

Good luck with the job. That hole is strange. You said the clutch was done before, maybe they screwed it up there, sort of looks like a sheared bolt but looks flush with the case. I see a lot of people do van conversions now, would be a lot better than a car for sleeping. There might be a torque pattern for the housing bolts. The hydraulic shouldn’t be hard to get working. There was another thread about the throwout getting hung up on a groove in the shaft which causes the pedal to stick on the floor.

Ricky, if your temp job poops out at some point, maybe apply at a shop for a job. Even if it is just sweeping the floor at first. It sounds like you are willing to take on some tough jobs. With the right training and equipment, you could make a top notch shop mechanic. You’ll have to start out cleaning parts and changing tires probably, but there’s lots of opportunities to advance to b/c a journeyman mechanic someday. Best of luck.

5 Likes

I agree with George

Some of the big shots in our fleet started off as garage attendants. They paid attention, studied, kept taking tests and promoted their way to the top

What is this bolt supposed to hold in place? I see nothing between the head of the bolt and the threaded hole. Shouldn’t there be a bracket or housing between the bolt head and threaded hole? It looks like you tightened a 3" long bolt into an unused hole, that bolt is probably a bell housing bolt that belongs in a bolt hole near the top.

You’re not near Ottawa Canada eh? I’ll come help you out!

EDIT: Oh I didn’t realize how old this was.

The reason people refer to them as “undocumented immigrants” is that people are not legal or illegal. One’s acts are legal or illegal. One’s behavior is legal or illegal. People are people, even if they’re people you don’t like.

Do we call a criminal who happens to be an American an “illegal Amercan?” No, we call him a criminal, or a burglar, or an arsonist, or a rapist, etc.

1 Like

I agree…that is what we should call an undocumented immigrant.

1 Like

I have no reason to object to that. All I ask is that if anyone feels a need to differentiate what type of criminal they are, they treat them like people, not objects.

Personally, I’m glad these undocumented criminal immigrants were around to help us during WWII in the Bracero program, and in 1996 when they saved the Atlanta Olympics by helping us meet construction deadlines.

Personally, I think our auto industry will miss those undocumented criminal immigrants, because they used to stimulate our economy before we cracked down on them. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that we’ve only seen tepid GDP growth since the Bush and Obama administrations cracked down on illegal immigration.

Silly, silly…
Of course people are people. What else would they be… pit bulls?
Who said they’re people I don’t like? You did!
I don’t know if I like them. I never met them.

I suppose we could call them illegal Americans or criminal Americans, but we generally don’t need to add “Americans” because if you are here in the U.S it is assumed that you are an American unless otherwise specified.

As far as using terms like “criminal” or “illegal,” I don’t care which you prefer. They imply the same thing… somebody who does not belong here.

It’s like the terms healthful and healthy when describing food. I prefer healthful because it is grammatically correct, but some clown decided to call it healthy food. Whatever… it has the same implied meaning.

You won’t change my thinking. I guess we’ll never agree on this. :wink:
CSA

I’d like to find some common ground on this issue, but when conservatives try to deny citizenship to foreign-born American soldiers who have earned the right to become citizens, I know it’s really about hate and fear, not the law. If it was about the law, nobody who is against illegal immigration would exceed the speed limit.

…ever.

On a side note, at least foreign-born American soldiers get to drive armored Hummers while they’re serving. That must be fun.

As a famous American citizen said, “There you go, again!”
You “know” incorrectly, oh progressive one!

I don’t hate these folks, but I am a stickler on immigrating legally. Please refrain from putting more words in my mouth or assuming you know how I think and what I think.

There you go, again! I would never purposely exceed the speed limit AND if I do exceed the speed limit for any reason I still want the speed laws to exist and to be enforced! I don’t want enforcement officials to look the other way.

We cannot possibly agree, so forget that. :wink:

Bringing it back to cars… I do agree it would be fun to drive an armored Hummer. :smile:
CSA

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.”

Japanese Americans in the United States during World War II was the forced relocation and incarceration in camps in the western interior of the country of between 110,000 and 120,000 people of Japanese ancestry, most of whom lived on the Pacific coast.

American citizens forced into camps because of their ancestry,

Car related
Lieutenant General John L. DeWitt, who directed the roundup of Japanese-Americans, said most victims “voluntarily” sold their automobiles to the U.S. Army–which was holding the cars’ owners in custody. Cars not “voluntarily” sold to the Army were seized by the Army. The military then resold 1942 models to automobile dealers so they would have merchandise to offer (the auto industry having converted to war work)
http://www.fear.org/RMillerJ-A.html

There are many different laws with many different consequences. I do exceed the speed limit from time to time but when I enter another country, they look at my passport and either let me in or not. Then I leave again when I said I would. One only has to look at what is happening in Europe to see the ramifications of no borders. Rather than a melting pot, it becomes an invasion where existing cultures are over-thrown. Think of opening your own home to unlimited folks that might want to live there and soon you would have no home at all. Immigration laws are to limit the numbers enough in order to insure that folks that come here blend in to the US culture and not replace it. But I agree, there is no point in the discussion, you either like America or you want to replace it with something else.

1 Like

So . . .

You were grateful when they were needed

But now you’re calling them criminals . . . ?

Please don’t try to have it both ways

Either say you need them and leave them alone

Or say you don’t need them and call them what you will

How you identify somebody is very important in my opinion

What if you discovered that one of your lifelong friends or colleagues didn’t have the proper paperwork?

Would you immediately start calling him a criminal, and refer to him as such, when talking about him?

Would you notify INS, so that they could promptly deport him to the country of his birth?

Or would you stay silent, because he’s your friend or colleague?

Nothing’s changed about him

The only thing that’s changed is that you learned something about his status

You didn’t suddenly find out that he’s a lazy bum, cheating on his wife, etc.

As for driving armored humvees . . . with all due respect, who cares?

I personally would call a thief, arsonist, wife beater, etc. a criminal

I wouldn’t call an undocumented person who works hard, supports his family, and hasn’t harmed a fly, a criminal. To be honest, I’d rather have such a person in this country, versus an american-born repeat violent offender, of which there are quite a few. But that’s just me :smiley:

3 Likes

I had a boss who was interned in one of those camps. He totally understood the reason at the time (after Pearl Harbor, who knew what they were capable of). After the war he joined the army and fought in Korea during the Chosin Reservoir retreat. A great guy.

Can we please bring this back on topic? Thanks.

Alright so i took out the clutch master cylinder. Took off the hydraulic hose. Then I reAttached the clutch master cylinder back to brake fluid container, then i pumped the clutch master cylinder and nothing came out.

I did this with car on and off. I covered the hydraulic hose opening with my finger and no brake fluid start to run, just mists of brake fluid.

I also blew into the hydraulic hose and I could hear air getting through. I don’t know how it’s suppose to sound so i can’t say for sure if it sounds clogged.

I also blew into hose that connects the brake fluid reservoir and it for sure wasn’t clogged.

I even stuck a zip tie into the opening of the brake fluid reservoir to make sure it’s not clogged and it went through the hole.

Do I assume its the clutch master cylinder? Or could there be something wrong with the brake cylinder reservoir because it’s not letting out any brake fluid? Example i let the hose for the brake fluid reservoir hang not connected to the clutch master cylinder and no fluid is coming out. Is it suppose to be like that?

I just don’t want to spend more money on the wrong items

A common way to bleed a clutch MC prior to installation is to attach short hoses from the two output lines right back into the reservoir, then pump it by hand while it is held level in a vice. When I’ve done that, there’s clearly fluid being pumped out the lines and back into the reservoir. I’m not familiar with that particular configuration you got there where the brakes and clutch share the same reservoir apparently, but if you can figure out a way to do the above test, give it a try. Whenever I purchase a new one the short hoses and necessary adapters come with it in the package, along with instructions how to do a bench bleed. Clutch MC"s are usually pretty easy to take apart, just a circ-clip for the most part, then the piston will come out. You might discover the seals are shot or come loose.

There are dividers in the reservoir to separate the supply to the front and rear pistons in the brake master and to the clutch master so one failure can’t completely drain the reservoir. Be sure the reservoir is at lease 3/4 full to insure all sections in the reservoir have some fluid in them.

Its full to the max but nothing comes out of the opening from reservior to clutch even when its not attached to anything. There should be fluid running out onto the ground but it doesn’t. Im not sure if the reservoir malfunctioned or if it’s suppose to be that way