Clutch problem , Help!

To: questions@cartalkvdp.com

Subject: Car Clutch Problem

I have a problem that no mechanic and no auto aficionado can answer . So I am down to you guys . I listen to your show all the time here in New Orleans , (when I can) ( they changed your morning time , so now it is more difficult .) I find the show informative and entertaining , especially when you riff on some guy?s junker . I have been listening steadily for 4 weeks , just to see whether I could get an answer for my problem . Alas to no avail . I am now having to abase myself and actually ask ?Nay? ! beg , Please before I spend any more money can you answer my problem .

I have a clutch that isn?t working very well .

This vehicle is a Mitsubishi ?Mighty Max? ; year 1992 , with 145 thousand miles .

It has a 2.4 litre engine , with a two wheel drive .

The cable clutch cannot be adjusted properly . The cable was replaced 2 years ago . The clutch was replaced 4 months ago .

Initially , I had started adjusting the clutch by turning the knurled nut on the cable guide to the foot pedal . I did this In order to keep the clutch working , but that hasn?t worked out well . I have even put 2 big 5/16 ? washers and a 5/16 ? castle nut spaced out on the guide rod in order to space the knurled nut back so that I can adjust the clutch .

Now I am at my wits end ; I have run out of room to adjust the throw of the clutch and I can?t adjust any further .

If I adjust the clutch forward it no longer engages . If I adjust it back (towards the passenger compartment ) the clutch engages but I can?t shift the gearbox . I have to shut the engine off , to shift into 1st . I then start the engine in gear to get going . I then come up to speed and shift into 2nd . Sometimes I am going too fast shift into 3rd and I have to find 4th . I have to drop my speed significantly to down shift ! In the 5th gear the car has to going rapidly to then I push in the clutch and wait drop into gear . Sometimes I can?t even get out of 2nd gear to shift up . I have to raise the engine speed to screaming levels or the other drivers will run into me .

I had a school bus driver almost run me down because I could only go 25 or 30 miles per hour . He wanted to go 55 (in a 35 mile zone) . One time a driver ran into me at a light because I couldn?t shift into 1st without turning the engine off . He thought I was going forward because the light was green . So bamm there I was helpless .

Please , please help me , I am unemployed and I am afraid to travel more than 10 miles . I can?t apply for jobs , or even go across the river for anything . It is now going on into fall and I have no way of decent travel . The bus system here is dismal and costs 2 to 4 hours a day to travel . (Not to mention 4-5 dollars a day in fares .) All bus travel across the bridge ceases after 6 pm . There is no bus over the Hughey P. Long Br. After 9:oo am . So the limitations here are significant .

I think you have a bad throwout bearing. You adjusted the clutch cable as far as it would go to tighten the pedal, and then added spacers to tighten it further. The trouble is that this not any easy repair. If the truck is front wheel drive, it means pulling the engine and transmission out of the car, pulling the transmission away from the engine, and replacing the throw out bearing and clutch plate. It’s a little simpler if the truck is rear-wheel drive, but it probably still would be easier to pull the engine and transmission rather than fight the exhaust system.
I would suggest that you try to appeal for help from a vocational school, one that trains kids in car repair. Such schools often accept projects such as yours to provide the students with hands-on training while providing a public service. The work is supervised by the instructor, who makes sure the car is repaired correctly. You would need to provide the money for the parts at least. In your case the total might be less than $200.
Try it. You might get lucky. Sounds like you are due for a break.

Didn’t get the answers you wanted the first time?

http://community.cartalk.com/posts/list/2151201.page

Changing the thread title doesn’t change the question.

I think your general explanation is more on the mark , but I think I now have am more serious problem . I no longer have 1st or second , only 3rd or fifth . I am stranded at city park , canal blvd . Here in new Orleans , Everyone needs money so much that I don’t believe I can get any kind of repair done inexpensively . Also , because many businesses and gov places are afraid of liability . This is especially true here in New Orleans . That’s a good suggestion though .
I think I have to replace the transmission now . You are right , I’m due for a break…, but I don’t know . The lack of resources has severly hampered my ability to make anything happen .