Doing Clutch Replacement in Walmart Parking Lot

So the reservoir doesn’t leak when filled and not attached to anything below? hmm … well maybe that’s just the way it works, there’s a suction action when the clutch pedal is pressed that probably draws the fluid in. Try hooking up a hand held vacuum pump to the bottom and see if you can get the fluid to come out that way.

Great idea george

I’ve replaced clutch slave and master cylinders at the same time. I’ve never done one that uses the brake reservoir though. When I’ve done it, I just bled it on the car with the pedal and it was no problem. I think you can clamp or block the hose from the master to the slave and the pedal will firm up if the master is working.

Wait, what? Excuse me!
144 comments, buildings rented, transmission removed, parts broken off, an eviction, and it just now seems the problem could just be something with the master cylinder?

I feel so cheap and dirty, like I’ve been used and cast aside. :blush:
CSA

The hose that comes with the hand held pump won’t fit too the reservoir so i had to settle for what you see in the picture. I fit surprisingly snug but no fluid came out.
IMG_20171027_212118|375x500

Common_sense_answer lol

Ill have to try the hose clamp/block trick in the morning when i have more light

I’m glad you can still laugh, Ricky! :slight_smile: I’ was just joking. There were plenty of times I’ve done way more work than necessary working on my cars. It goes with DIY (Shhhh! and sometimes even professionals are victims).
CSA

Can you run a wire up the hose and get it to the reservoir. Surely, fluid should be running out of that hose.

I don’t know about you but I’m getting ready to take up a collection to put Ricky in a hotel, and tow his car to a mechanic to get it fixed. Otherwise we’re running the risk of a mud fight here as we diverge into other topics while we’re waiting.

I used a zip tie when it was empty and got it in but i will try it when it’s full

I just pushed a zip tie in to the reservoir, no hisie just straight into the opening and it went in because when i pulled it out it’s wet but nothing runs out

The thing is yeah i am mad that i wasted time and money but i actually do look at it as im learning. One of my goals is to learn car repair so that experience is useful. Im not being cheesy either

I can only conclude that that hose has collapsed inside. Pull it off the reservoir (catch the fluid in a cup) and have a good look at it.

Ok I will do this in the morning with that being said Im going to do a video to show clearly the trouble shooting just in case there is something you can pick up with your own eyes

Someone please tell me that the original problem wasn’t just a restricted supply hose from the reservoir to the master cylinder.

If that’s the problem I’ll ask if that hose was original or was it a piece of fuel line that someone installed because it was black and round just like the original.

Words of wisdom from the common sense school of hard knocks.

Experience is the best teacher.

I usually assume “worst case” first when something goes wrong with my cars. It usually isn’t. I had a coolant leak in my Bonneville that dripped from the radiator bottom. I started to price radiators and removed a few things to begin replacement when I found a broken hose clamp leaking.

I like to remember to try the easiest, cheapest things first.

“Red herrings” exist frequently while trying to diagnose car problems. You had no clutch and fluid leaking where the slave cylinder was… Bingo! Simple, that’s it. It must be a bad slave cylinder.

I have found that the best auto mechanics and the best doctors are the ones with the best diagnostic skills and intuitions.
CSA

With 20/20 hindsight, can we say that with ample fluid in the reservoir, and fluid not gushing out the bell housing while pumping the clutch, that a leaking slave cylinder can not be the reason for a “no clutch” symptom?

Its not the hose. The hose is as clean as a whistle it might be the hole in the reservoir

I have served with several foreign born American soldiers who were on a “fast track” to US citizenship. The only ones I’m aware of being denied were convicted of serious crimes. DUI and Domestic Violence being the most common. That is normally a show stopper for anyone trying to become a US citizen. I have never seen or driven a military owned civilian Hummer although there may be some in the DoD civilian fleet. I have driven the military High Mobility Multipurpose Wheeled Vehicle (HMMWV)s, They are commonly called Humvees. I only had fun being the chase vehicle for the National Guard hot air balloon which required some off roading up to 30mph. With literally a ton of armor the “hardened” Humvees were performance “pigs”.