DIY Tesla Repair?

For me it’s the steering ‘yoke’ instead of wheel. Nutty.

1 Like

1 Like

From what I understand from prior Tesla owners there is no service or repair places because there are no dealerships. They contain lethal voltages so towing companies and regular auto repair shops won’t touch them for liability reasons. It costs more to replace the battery than to buy a new car so I guess the people that have enough money to buy one just leave it on the side of the road when it dies and buy another one.

There are repair facilities for Tesla’s. There are 2 in my general area.

1 Like

There are now 5 Tesla dealerships in my state, as well as 3 stand-alone service centers.

There are Tesla dealerships and service centers, here they’re concentrated around Seattle but i’ve seen the mobile service vehicles around Olympia a few times, Someone just bought a Model Y from the used lot of the local Ford dealer, don’t know if it was a Mach-E trade or just bought at auction.

The Tesla showroom near me was converted from a furniture store. Not a dealership, no service or parts department.

Have you verified their consumer offerings? Showroom or dealership?

Uh-Oh. Is Jersey turning into the “little Cali” of the east. With the Tesla stores, and emissions nazis, what’s next? Water restrictions, rolling brown outs, wildfires, no car charging during peak hours? No wonder my mom left Newark in the late 40’s, and never looked back.

2 Likes

I can’t concur with your entire thesis on Calif, but you definitely have a point about the current vehicle emissions policies. Definitely over the top & lacking basic common sense. As evidence, the state’s vehicle emissions policy requires a citizen to drive their 50 year old truck with carb and no cat as their daily driver, while at the same time forcing them to park their modern-era computer controlled fuel injected Corolla. I’ve seen this same thing happen in tech corporations here in Silicon Valley, when the management team gets out of control. Otherwise well-intentioned policies become too “cutesy”.

1 Like

I thought it was because you didn’t want to got to the inspection station during covid…

1 Like

How this is looked upon depends on what’s emphasized I guess. Either it is my fault b/c I’m not courageous enough to risk Covid death in order to drive the Corolla, and so I drive the truck instead. Or it is the state of Calif’s fault that they don’t allow any exceptions for the elderly or otherwise high-Covid-risk drivers who own older OBD I cars requiring treadmill testing.

All that’s true, but it’s not a CA emissions policy, it a DMV policy.

In my communications w/the DMV about this issue, the DMV seems quite sympathetic to my plight. The fundamental problem appears to be the state’s politicians. Or at least some of them. No elected official has come right out and told me, but I presume they believe if they grant any Covid-related exceptions for vehicle emissions testing, then everyone in the state will insist on one.

It’s easy enough to blame the DMV for problems like this, but the DMV doesn’t set state policy.

How about asking a younger relative or neighbor to take it there and have it done for you.

One of the state’s politicians told this is what I should do. I asked if he’d send one of his staff members over to do take it to the testing shop for me. Nope. So should I ask a friend or relative? I’d feel really bad if a friend or family member got Covid and possibly died b/c I wasn’t willing to do the job myself. IMO doesn’t make sense to take the chance, as long as I have the truck to use as an alternative. Also would incur insurance/liability issues if I allow someone to drive my car to the testing.

I think the chance that you or your choice of driver to take your Corolla for the emissions test will die from COVID-19 is an overreaction. I’m high risk and I don’t curtail my driving at all. Our situations may different but surely you know someone that is not similarly affected and can do it for you. It seems to me that you just want to complain about it.

2 Likes

Fair enough, won’t complain about the Corolla-forced-off-the-road issue here further. Except if another poster queries about it of course :slight_smile: Truck is running fine, so in any event, it’s not a personal burden.

I don’t mind hearing it again. I have a short memory.

Still watching the clouds of smoke billowing in the air from the fires, I find it interesting that forest management seems less important than engine management. Kind of like straining the gnat as they say. Are we to take this seriously?

1 Like

I think the western-fire experts know how to manage the fire-fighting job pretty good; but seem to have less interest in preventing them from starting and spreading in the first place. Common sense says first priority is to spend resources on removing all trees and limbs in wild-land areas that could fall and touch any power lines. Or am I missing something more important than that?