DIY Tesla Repair?

Biden’s “Green Agenda” is getting ready to strip mine the USA, the world, for those materials…

The United States needs ten times the amount of rare earth metals it currently has to meet President Biden’s ambitious 2030 EV goals, according to one CEO in the business. And it needs 20 to 25 times more to meet the burgeoning needs of the green economy — and the military — as we increase investment in wind power, electric vehicles, and even cell phones to the year 2050.

1 Like

I seriously doubt if either of us will be around in 12 years, so neither of us will be a “winner” in this category.

… and that is precisely why a bunch of smart aftermarket parts manufacturers will be sure that they can supply these components.

@VDCdriver

Please answer my 3rd point…where is the electricity going to come from?

16% of cars in California are EV/Hybrid…and they are having serious electricity shortages…they need a 7x increase in capacity to meet their 2035 100% EV goal.

This question is my entire argument…it is a critical question and there is no answer other than “Build the cars and the electricity will come later”. We should the capacity and THEN build the cars…

Except with Apple products, they always go up ! !

3 Likes

Suppose that a hundred years ago, someone said “we should build the roads and THEN build the cars”? Where would be today if people back then had that attitude.

The electric grid is expanded based on demand. Build the electric cars first and the grid will be expanded. Both will evolve and grow together.

There are efficiencies that can be gained in the transmission grid itself. The transmission grid is the long haul grid that goes between power plants and between power plants and the sub stations. The grid between the substation and your home is called the distribution grid. Changing the transmission grid from AC to DC could substantially increase the efficiency of that grid. The distribution grid is more efficient with AC.

Electric cars are most often charged off peak, especially in areas that have a surcharge for peak power use.

To me, the biggest issue that needs to be solved right now, and I mean right now before the market grows any more is how to tax the electricity to cover infrastructure growth and repairs, i.e. gas tax. Charging stations are an easy solve.

Home chargers need to have a meter built into them that communicates with the houses power meter so the usage of the charger can be separated from household use and charged accordingly. This needs to happen ASAP before there are too many home chargers out there.

1 Like

I’ve been aquainted with this guy through the group of Minneapolis lawyers for over 20 years. Author, professor, lawyer, and currently even at Berkley. On C-Span a little while ago with his latest book, so these folks are not slouches. You can argue the facts but don’t try to impinge his character.

1 Like

If you had been watching the news over the past month, you would have seen coverage of this:

Admittedly, this is coming several years after something like this should have been initiated, but it has to start somewhere, and as the old saying tells us… Better late than never.

:thinking:

2 Likes

Ah ha ha ha ha. What a joke. You can’t be serious? Like printing more money to solve inflation. Truly grade school.

1 Like

So, after belatedly learning that there is new bi-partisan legislation in place, which will strengthen the nation’s electrical grid to a MAJOR extent, are you willing to acknowledge that things will be changing in that regard? If we were mired in the past, your assertion would have SOME validity. In light of recent bi-partisan legislation that is now the law of the land… not so much…

Electricity is very easy to make. Spin some magnets, done. I don’t think lack of electricity will be the future problem. What force is used to spin the magnets, that’s more of an issue. If a carbon based fuel is used, electric cars won’t be as much of an environmental benefit. But seems like there is a good measure of upside potential for generating non-carbon clean electricity than is currently being taken advantage. Even here in so-called “Green” Northern Calif, the majority (admittedly a slight majority) of the residences in my area don’t seem to have a single solar panel on the roof. And I don’t think that remodels are required to add solar panels as part of the remodel. Likewise, very little use of solar power to heat water from what I see.

Many Calif cities now have codes in place which ban (or will soon ban) anything other than electrically powered appliances, space heaters, and hot water heaters. Seems like this will create two classes of homeowners, one who may use natural gas, and another than is banned from using natural gas. Seems like pitting neighbor against neighbor like that will create jealousies and resulting neighborhood unrest.

LOL!

I ask you where will the power come from and you point me to a bunch of political promises and pork barrel spending.

That “Bi-partisan” plan is going to spend a $billion on a charging station in the Arizona desert…lol.

It’s all talk, “clean energy” blah, blah…pure “feelgoodism”…NO SUBSTANCE! All the link talks about is improving the grid (a noble goal) it does not define “clean energy” nor where that will come from.

The fact is, Wind and Solar CANNOT supply the necessary power…it’s all a pipe dream and without coal, NatGas and Nuclear you’ll see its’ all bologna is less than a decade.

It’s simple math…for wind, you’ll need 119,000,000 commercial mills to meet the EV demand…not going to happen…solar, even worse numbers.

Keep in mind solar panels have a limited life span, require lots of energy input to manufacture, and you’ll need space to bury 100’s of millions of dead panels in the coming decades…more “green” fantasy…like the construction and disposal of panels requires no energy or environmental cost.

EV’s are heavier than gas cars and do far more road damage; another nail in the “green” coffin…road repair is very energy intensive.

The Generalized Fourth Power Rule
(W1/W2)^4

The above formula calculates the increase in road damage between the heavier vehicle (W1) and the lighter vehicle (W2)

2 very similar cars in physical size
2,910lbs = Toyota Corolla
4,065lbs = Telsa Model 3

(4065/2910)^4 = 3.81

381% more road damage occurs from a Model 3 compared to a Corolla!

So, obviously we we can count the response of @TheOldDays as one vote in favor of never improving/strengthening the electrical grid.

1 Like

VCD…

I said grid improvement was a good idea.

What I asked, and you still have not answered, is where is the electricity going to come from?

Without Hydro, Nuke, Coal and NatGas…a “Green Economy” is pure fantasy.

Look at Europe…a decade and many, many billions spent on “green energy”…they refuse to buy Russian gas, supply is cut, they go dark.

My point, from the start, is this is all “the cart before the horse”…nothing is ready for EV’s…all of the problems “will be solved miraculously in the future”.

Asked, and answered.

1 Like

Look to the past as I recall someone mentioning. Cars were developed before any real infrastructure of roads and refueling stations existed. Those came after the demand, not before. I doubt any person, company or government will proactively fully build out this infrastructure hoping for a payback in 10 to 20 years or more…

It seems to me even the power companies do everything they can to encourage conservation of energy to keep the existing plants output fully utilized without having to build new plants at great expense to their companies with very long paybacks for those expenditures.

2 Likes

Let’s not forget that some states have built partnerships with clean energy companies in order to vastly increase the electrical supply.

In NJ, by 2024, both the Ocean Wind I Project and the Ocean Wind II Project will have been completed by Orsted, a Danish company with which the state contracted for wind-generated power off the coast of NJ. The completion of both projects by 2024 will supply enough additional power for 1 million homes in NJ.

In NY State, there is a public question on the November ballot which–if ratified–would allow NY State to engage in similar projects off the coast of Long Island.

Back on topic-major reason to not DIY repair some parts of a Tesla (or any EV): 300 to 400+ volts.

I took out a few of the more directly political comments, FYI. Please be mindful of being at least sort of on topic because I don’t want to have to close a discussion because of a partisan throwdown. Thanks.

Regarding Teslas, when my shop’s owner drove me home while my car was worked on, he took me in his Tesla. The door handle design turned me off once and for all, so I’ll never even have to consider DIY Tesla repair. :zap: :low_battery:

1 Like