Discussion categories

I seldom browse by “recent activity”. After browsing replies to my posts by clicking on my icon upper right, next I browse by “category”. I don’t see any particular need to change anything w/all that; however I rarely use any categories other than Gen Disc, Repair/Maintenance, The Show, and Site Feedback, so if you eliminated some of those they wouldn’t be missed. I think the “ask someone who owns one” category is something that sounds like a good idea in theory, but in practice isn’t accomplishing much and could be easily eliminated without anyone noticing.

“Ask someone” is the most popular category, there are a few members that reply to every thread.

I only see two postings there today. Are they moved from there by the Car Talk staff to other categories?

The moderators move them to different categories and they also delete some . They also alter the heading as needed .

You replied to 4 of them today, Audi, Lincoln and 2 Chevrolets.

Do you think I reply to too many posts? How could I rep ly to 4 when there are only two there?

Yes …

Let’s have a vote then. Here’s what I propose: Anyone who has made a top post here at least 6 times within the past month (3-13-22 to 4-13-22) is eligible to vote. The votes must occur within one week, decided upon by the Car Talk staff. All votes must be public, handles shown along with the vote. If the majority of the votes say they prefer I no longer p ost here, I’ll stop my postings entirely. Anyone interested?

hmmm … Maybe we should have this same vote for other posters too?

I think Volvo was kidding. but if I am wrong, I say post all you want.

2 Likes

Those threads originated from Car Complaints/Ask Someone and were moved to Repair. Most discussions here came from Ask Someone.

If either of these two posters were kidding, now’s the time to apologize

I was simply pointing out that most discussions come from the Ask Someone category, you didn’t see them until after they were moved.

I vote no. Post all you want. I can decide if I want to read it or not. It’s like the newspaper. I can spend about 5 minutes on the stuff that really matters and recycle the rest.

1 Like

I use an iPad. This discussion is eleven months old. I have not seen any changes to Cartalk.
How I read “community”.
Start with “all categories”. New postings, then unread, then by current week. Then by today’s date, oddly the current week does not include today’s new responses.
The “all categories” does not include new postings in “ask someone”. After doing the above, I go to “ask someone”.
Seems the “ask someone” posts disappear after 24 hours, unless transferred by Cartalk to a different category and a response from the OP is received.

As far as Bing with newspaper articles, I read the paper, then hit the home button, no recycling option…lol