Difficulty filling fuel tank

2003 KIA Sedona. In last month or so it takes several tries to fill the fuel tank. Understand there is a Charcoal Vapor Canistor in the emissions system. Where is it located? Can it be changed by a quasi mechanic or how much might it cost to replace?

have you had the habit of putting more gas into the tank after the pump clicked off the first time? If you did top it off regularly, then you’re probably looking to have to change it out. Some vehicles have the canister in the tank area, so you’d have to “dig” pretty deep. Expect $400 or more to replace it at a shop

If you always stopped fueling after the pump clicks off the first time, then you might have a kink in the hose in your car. Most vehicles have a safety feature that prevents fuel from flowing during a roll over or crash, so it might be this somehow got tripped. A long flexible hose you can stick down in your fuel filler neck should be able to fix it. Shouldn’t cost much except for the hose and an hour of your time if you’re clumsy and/or not really sure what to do.

It’s NOT the charcoal canister. Once the filler cap is removed, that’s out of the picture.

The anti-spill roll-over valve bscar mentioned is usually the problem. This is a cork or plastic ball in a cage located near the tank in the fuel filler pipe. It can jam out of position and restrict fuel flow when you try to fill the tank. SOMETIMES a flexible rod or switch, like a fibergless bicycle flag whip, can be slipped into the filler neck and used to dislodge the check ball.

Unfortunately I am the guy who does the first thing - have done it on every car I ever owned. Guess this new fangled “emission” stuff is going to be the reduction of an already low bank account. I can do the second recommendation but What would happen if you just removed the canister or by passed it. I read somewhere this is part of the emission control system and the warranty may still be in place.

Caddyman, On this one I will have to half disagree. While it may well be that valve ball, it certainly can be the vapor recovery system.

Yes, Joe,
I half agree with YOU. The problem may be with some part of the evaporative emissions control system inside the fuel tank (check valve, or the like). But, I feel more strongly that that it’s a problem with the tank filler tube assembly, or the anti-spill valve.

Hellokit