Diesel in a 2017 Toyota RAV4

I actually attempted to put a diesel nozzle in one of our gas vehicles recently just to see how it fit . It appeared that there had to be so much effort to make it work that the word ( clueless ) came to mind.
Plus the fact that you had to push the button marked diesel . And no I did not put the diesel in.

So yes I would like to know how someone did that .

5 Likes

You’ll probably have to try at several stations, I’m sure you can find one where the nozzle actually fits.

3 Likes

Some different types of fuel have specially sized nozzles to prevent accidentally filling a tank with an incompatible fuel. The nozzle on diesel pumps is supposed to be larger so that it cannot fit into the filler pipe on a vehicle tank designed for gasoline. However, the larger diameter diesel nozzles are not an actual requirement, and many diesel pumps at auto islands have been fitted with standard gasoline nozzles. Also, the nozzle for leaded gasoline is wider than for unleaded, and the fill pipe on vehicles designed for unleaded-only was made narrower to prevent misfueling. Some diesel fuel tanks are designed to prevent wrong type of nozzle to be used.

Is everybody satisfied now?

Tester

Happens a lot at the privately owned stations, that way they only have to keep 1 spare nozzle on hand in case of a drive off.

Volkswagen is one of them, some device in the fill tube won’t open if an unleaded nozzle is put in.

1 Like

But, you still have to push the selector button! How you can mistake a button labeled DIESEL for a button labeled 87, 89, or 91.

Maybe I should try to do it before coffee, just to replicate the previous response,

3 Likes

Depends on the pump, If there are 3 or 4 nozzles, one for each grade of fuel, why would you have to push a button ?

I have yet to see a modern pump that does not have a selector button, but I have never pulled up to a Diesel only pump. Where I get my ethanol free gas for the boat and mower is a stand alone pump. You still have to push the selector button to turn it on.

1 Like

Some of these stations are very confusing though where they have diesel as simply another button to push and select the yellow nozzle. I’ve had to study it myself on out of state travels. Others have a separate pump or island which makes it a little harder to do. I think the larger nozzle for diesel though is more for the quantity being dispensed rather than a requirement. If you are putting in a hundred gallons into a truck, you don’t want a restricted nozzle. I’ve often warned my wife. That and E85. When I had a diesel it was nice because the pumps were on a separate island so very seldom had to wait unless a couple trucks were filling up.

No buttons, selection made by nozzle you use
Capture1

How many gallons (or liters) did you add? If it’s more than a small amount, you’ll need to have the car towed to have the fuel system drained.

Ask your shop to drain all the diesel out from the tank, then refill the tank with gasoline. It may take a little more shop work beyond that to move the diesel in the fuel lines out & replaced with gasoline, but eventually you should be back on the road again without any lasting problems. I expect you’ve noticed folks here are interested how that happened as most gas pump nozzles in the USA for diesel are too big fit a gasoline car’s fueling opening.

Some people are perplexed while others have been draining diesel fuel from gasoline vehicles for nearly 20 years, ever since fill tubes no longer have the flap blocking the opening from nozzles that are not fully inserted.

My ‘69, ‘70 and ‘72 Oldsmobile’s all had fillers large enough for a small fire hose. Guess what, never put diesel in any of them. I guess people just need to pay attention to what their doing. Driving requires your full time attention, and yes the feeding and care of your car is part of driving. Long before the cell phone and other distractions some states even had laws against failing to pay full time attention to driving, albeit very rarely enforced.

I stand corrected! Plus someone found it necessary to make a YouTube video, I can see the confusion if you are not paying attention.
Where I live green handles usually indicate diesel, red or black is gas.

So if someone mixes up those hoses, an inattentive customer could mistakenly try to pump the wrong fuel. Teenage prank with serious consequences
Hopefully that is one with the larger nozzle at least

+1
When I was a gas jockey (at an NJ Turnpike rest stop) back in the late '60s, the island for the diesel pumps was really far from our little “office”, so we took turns taking the long slog out to that diesel island. Once in a while, we would get a Peugeot or a Mercedes diesel sedan, but–of course–99% of our diesel customers were truckers.

One afternoon, there was a real gully-washer of a storm, and when a non-diesel American sedan pulled up to those very distant diesel pumps, none of us wanted to get soaked in order to run out there to tell him that he was at the wrong pumps. We yelled, and we waved our arms wildly to try to get the message across that he should drive over to one of the gas islands that was much closer to us.

Well, this guy didn’t get the message, nor did he read what was printed on the pump, because he “showed us” by filling his tank with diesel and then driving away. Yup! You guessed it. A few miles down the road his engine stalled and we had to send our tow truck to rescue him.

I asked the station manager if he was going to have the State Troopers charge the guy with theft, and his response was, “No, I just want to see the expression on his face when he sees how much I charge him for that tow”.

3 Likes

It won’t cause long term harm. Just be thankful it’s not the other way round - gasoline in your diesel vehicle. The high pressure pump is the heart of the engine & relies on the lubrication from the diesel. If you ran it without realising and it konked-out you’re in for a massive bill. With a modern gasoline engine just drain & refill the tank and run the fuel pump to flush the fuel rails & pipes. The diluted mix you’re left with will inject & burn just fine.

1 Like