Detailing advice

Long story short my car had paint overspray all over it. Every panel. I has been there for about 2 months because my life has been taken over my a small human who is very demanding. :slight_smile: I took the car to the detailer to get an estimate on removing the paint. When I qouted that price to my hubby, he decided he wanted to try before we spend $$ on it. So any advice on removing overspray from the car without damaging the overcoat would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Can you tell what kind of overspray it was?

Latex based, clean car with high content Isopropyl alcohol. Apply a good coat of wax afterwards
Rattle can spray, clean car with WD-40. Apply a good coat of wax afterwards
Other paints may come off with clay bar from auto parts/Walmart. This will most likely work on all surfaces except the plastic trim pieces. You can try it there but results will vary. Do not spend a lot of time on the rubber seals around the doors and windows. Apply a good coat of wax afterwards

Congratulations on the new addition.

Unless the car had a good coat of wax on it before the overspray happened and that wax was not removed (if you had repair work done they would have removed the wax as a psrt of surface preparation), than the process will be tricky. But and body shop can do it. possibly at a reasonable cost. It involves using a microscopic abrasive such as Clay Bar or even Polishing Compound. Done by a practiced pro it’s not risky, but a beginner can easily leave sqirl marks and/or even eat through the clearcoat.

Ask a bodyshop or two what they’d charge.

A clay bar probably would have done the trick two months ago. However, now that the paint has cured, I’d say there’s a 50-50 chance of it working now.

Thanks for the fast replies. I’m not sure what type of paint. It is overspray from a local company spraying their roof. Wanted to see if there were any other options.

Do not use an abrasive on this. I assumed, as did others, that you were referring to a paint overspray. A roof sealant is an entirely different problem.

Try a citrus based cleaner. If that doesn’t work, try a bug & tar remover like “Goo Gone”. Then wash and wax the finish after.

Why isn’t this company’s insurance covering this?

I had a black vehicle covered in white over spray from a company painting a building next door to my car and not notifying anyone… I assume this is what you mean by painting the building roof? My car had over spray on it for about 2 months in southern heat and clay bar took it off. It was a lot of work but yes is can be taken off.

Up here in the northeast roof spraying is usually a sealer, often tar based and sometimes a spray rubber, depending on the magnitude of the problem being solved. Anything larger than a small problem will need a tar-based spray.

A company I used to work for many years ago had a roofing company put a rubberized spray sealant on part of their roof. There were over 100 cars in the parking lot that got overspray on them. The roofer’s insurance company hired a professional outfit to come in and remove it. They set up a tent and ran the vehicles thru in assembly line fashion. The first step was a wash. I don’t know if they used anything special. The next step was to literally SHAVE the overspray off of the (former) top coat. They had a little gizmo that held razor blades that were anywhere from 1" to 4" wide depending on the area being shaved. The guys doing the work were so good at it that they didn’t appear to even touch the top coat, but they followed up with a good buff and wax. My car never looked better.

I wonder how well WD-40 would work on this type of issue. It does pretty good on removing road tar from lower portions of the car body.

Th paint can just be flipped off with a fingernail, not much effort. I think it’s just acrylic and the clay bar will probably take it off. My husband is going to try on Sunday/Monday, just a small space to see what happens. If it starts going south, we’ll take it in to have it cleaned professionally. Insurance will cover it but we have to pay deductable. Thanks for all the advice.