CV inner hub refuses to come out of transmission

I can see the see splined shaft but not the clip. I can move the hub it it moves the shaft which means not sheared. However there is another little roller gear just behind the shaft.Obviously why the groove in the tool. I engineered my own tool so I would not have to bang on it from under the car. Now these gears …tore all to crap… I have photos but it usually will not even let me reply let alone send a photo. However I am fully prepared to get to work in the morning everything is set in place everything is exactly how it’s supposed to be my tool also is mounted on more than less a tracking system where I don’t have to have anyone hold it and I can use both hands to swing the hammer from the outside of the car and not from under it. If this does not work then since the gearbox apparently does not unbolt from the transmission itself. I suppose the complete transmission will be removed. but I have confidence that this is going to work I just hope none of them little metal pieces fall down inside there somehow I’m going to place magnetsin every strategic place they will fit and I will keep you posted.

If my eyes aren’t failing me it seems that the spider gear shaft and spider gears are trashed. If so any patch up work would likely result in future failure due to debris that has scattered throughout the transmission.

1 Like

So is that mean just get a rebuilt transmission… or does that have a valve body like the old school trannies did? We have to take into consideration that the car has 218000 miles on it …it’s in really good mechanical shape except for that … And of course ever rubber bushing on it is on my list to be replaced… The engine, the engine runs good she doesn’t use any oil …it doesn’t smoke… it leaks a little bit w/that mean miles on it… trade in value as is would be like nothing probably… the gearbox or differential box looks like it’s all one piece it may not be. Of course I could just repair and driv her till she just lays down in a road. … Valve that is providing I get that out today… I’m assuming he’s got some shrapnel up in there beside it or something that’s why it’s but it’s loose the only thing that gets me is that it’s loose and it wobbles. anyhow I’ll keep you posted thank you for your interest in can CERN and your advice and today we will have a final decision… Maybe not a confirmed reason of its refusal to be removed but we will know more … HAVE A SAFE AND WONDERFUL HOLIDAY… AND THAT GOES FOR EVERYONE IN THE CAR TALK COMMUNITY!

Your transmission definitely has a valve body

Regarding that picture . . . isn’t the clip visible in the picture, behind that black shaft?

I think you may need this tool to remove the halfshaft . . . it’s specifically for Fords. Older Fords, that is

As far as I can tell I’m not seeing the clip… I will look very hard (er) with my camera. Can’t get my head even close to being close enough to see…( blind in left eye). My tool is 1/2 extentions w/1/4x1/2 .dowel that also rest on rails… so I can Hammer standing up, not under the car… I tested it yesterday w/ positive results in trial. I’ll keep you in the loopon my success!

Doesn’t the differential housing have one side attached with bolts and can be easily removed to get at everything?

It very well could have because I mean I didn’t notice it because I wasn’t not really looking for it I was looking for a way to detach the whole set up I guess… Let me let me go out there and see give me about 30 minutes boy I don’t know where you’re at but I’m in Greenville Texas and it’s hotter than well it’s got to be the hottest day so far this year let me put it that way which makes so that makes it seem exceedingly hot… I will take a photo and send it with my next reply shortly

That does look like the clip to me and I agree with Rod Knox that things look a bit trashed in there.

My eyes are not terribly great at the moment either due to 2 cataract surgeries that have not quite healed up yet and are still irritable.

That clip seems to protrude a bit on the bottom side. Any chance of maybe weaseling a sharp something in there and prying it out? Destroy the clip. So what.

I feel for you and I’m sure all of us (me for sure) have been there more than once wrestling something on a brutally hot day.
A balmy 105 the other day here in OK and supposed to hit 107 next week. And August is generally the hot month…

Okay I hope I’m in the right spot I had to leave the page for a wow okay I’m good yes it is quite a mess this is my plan if I can’t remove the differential I’m going to access it and replace the worn parts or I should say damaged parts put it back together give it a good flush and thank God it’s done… easy enough will crossing you more bridges when we get there I don’t know if I mentioned prior but I have seen nothing it to the effect of removing or accessing the differential on the back of that transmission no videos no diagrams no discussions nothing nowhere so I’m not going to call that shot until I get under it again…then I will learn more and advise y’all on what I’m doing I will keep you in the loop and let everyone know what’s going on because it might help somebody on down the line so if I could do that then I’m happy okay guys again thanks again have a wonderful holiday day today I’ll be safe watch the little ones and just at the end of the day when you know you can gather in the house with family just remember that I thank God for the vacations are provided and the love of family I’ll get back with y’all I don’t know if I’m going to work on it today or not I might but when I do I’ll let you know God bless TTYL

@ok4450, I’m going to have cataract surgery next week on my left eye and in two weeks for the right. I have opted for the multi-focal IOC (inter occular lens) instead of the monofocal but now I hearing that in about 20% of the surgeries, they don’t work as advertised and the doctor did not tell me that the multi-focal do not focus the same way as the traditional lens or the mono-focal. Your brain has to learn how to focus a different way. I’m starting to have second thoughts. I can back out up to Monday when the lens will be ordered.

You’re darn right to be thinking long and hard about it

Last year, I finally admitted to myself that I needed multifocal

Anyways, I updated my prescription for multifocal glasses and contact lenses

I got used to the multifocal glasses well enough. That was definitely a win-win

But the multifocal contact lenses were NOT the best thing since sliced bread. I only noticed a modest improvement over the previous contact lenses. Maybe my brain isn’t smart and can’t “focus a different way” . . . ?

As far as I’m concerned, anything concerning your sight deserves as much research as possible

Sure I’ve told this story before, 1 bad eye, Eye doc does not want to do anything for cataracts in the good ey, 5 to 10% chance of problems. OK for now except driving at night, especially rainy nights, and have to have a spotter with me for golf balls.

Eye surgery was not an option for me anymore. It was a have to thing. I could not even read the large E at the top of the eye chart with the left eye and many road signs were coming across as double vision. A 35 MPH speed limit sign at night would come across to me as 335 MPH and on the turnpike the 75 MPH sign would read 750 MPH.
Never had an opportunity to use the “not my fault” excuse to a cop or trooper though.

Surgery helped me quite a bit although I still have some irritation in both eyes. Optometrist says it’s a little rough around the incision in one spot but will clear up PDQ. Overall, I’m good with it. Doc said last week that at this point my vision is 20/20 and getting even better. Even he was surprised a bit.

1 Like

Did you get the mono-focal IOC’s or the multi-focus IOC’s. My insurance pays for the mono-focal, Multi-focal will cost me about $2650 per eye. I do not mind the price if they work.

I’ve had a cataract in my right eye for many years although the Ophthalmologist didn’t tell me until my left eye went bad. I had good correctable vision in my left eye and then all of a sudden, it could not be corrected any more. I got a very rare cataract in my left eye called a liquid cataract. Vision in that eye is constantly changing so it cannot be corrected.

the best thing since sliced bread.

I have heard that expression used all my life I often wondered what the best thing before sliced bread.

Both multi-focal. At this point I have zero complaints other than the slight irritation but I expect that to be gone by the time I have my final visit to the doc week after next.
They work for me but I cannot say since everyone is different if they will work as well for you. Maybe I’m part of the lucky 80%.

Good to know, thanks.

Yeah!

I got hemorrhoids so bad, I can cut O rings out of 'em.

Yep!

That should help Terry with his axle problem, :roll_eyes:

Tester

This . . . ?!

1 Like

Cataracts in both eyes have increasingly made night driving and driving in rain difficult the past few years. Driving in rain after dark has become a total no go. So I’ll have to get cataract surgery sooner rather than later.

In my case I’ll still need to wear glasses afterwards due to needing prism as part of my correction due to an eye muscle imbalance. The implanted replacement lenses used in cataract surgery cannot incorporate the prism so I’ll still need glasses. Besides, one of my eyes has unstable astigmatism that requires new glasses every year or two.

I truly don’t mind continuing to wear glasses, I just want clear vision restored. It will make long distance driving more safely doable again! Easier to go visit family and friends.

1 Like