Curbed my tire....about to make trip

I advise to keep the 2 decent tires in case you curb one of your new ones someday. If the new ones are the same mfg and tread design that would be best. It not, at the least the new tires and the 2 spares will be the same size and as the new ones wear they’ll more closely match the spares that are somewhat worn. Perhaps this is a way you can mitigate the feeling of “wasting” money.

you should replace it even if you’re not going anywhere…You probably don’t have a real spare .Damage can go deeper than is apparent. . A new tire is cheaper and easier over all. Ask yourself ,“are you feeling lucky?”

Here’s a quick tip cheat sheet for parking on hills from “Finding the Sweet Spot - The Insider’s Guide to Parking”.

Follow these instructions whenever parked on a hill:

When facing downhill with a curb: Turn your steering wheel all the way to the right (clockwise) so the front of the curb-side front tire will touch the curb when you take your foot off the brake.

When facing uphill with a curb: Turn your steering wheel far to the left (counter-clockwise), so the back of the curb-side front tire will touch the curb.

When facing uphill or downhill with no curb: Turn your steering wheel to the right. (Think about it).

check out the website too for more tips at www.findingthesweetspot.com

The above tips assume you’re not driving in England or Australia.

Warning, Will Robinson! Warning! Having a spare tire: do NOT use an “emergency do-nut” spare tire. Never…unless, you want spend thousands of dollars repairing the components of the AWD system.
The spare tire can be a different width (even a different brand); but, it MUST be the same DIAMETER as the other installed tires.

Hey, where I bought my tires - would have replaced it for you. Did you have a warranty?? If it is holding air - I’d use your own judgment re replacement. Your driving skills and comfort zone re handling a tire replacement on the side of the road, etc. If you have a good road service and decent cell phone coverage, if the worst happens - you lock your doors, call the service and wait. If you’re a nervous nelli about those things. Replace the tire. You’ll enjoy your trip more. Good Luck.

Great photos.

There is absolutely no way on this green earth that I’d take this tire on any highway even for a short distance. This tire is unsafe. Please get it replaced before heading out on the highway.

Some tires are slicker than snot when they are first mounted, while others are not.
My gf replaced the tires on her car with Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 tires, and when I went to leave the shop after having them mounted, the rear tires lit up with any amount of throttle greater than idle for the first mile of driving.

Once I got back to the house, about 4 miles later, the tires were sticking to the ground much better.

So, you shouldn’t have to worry about the tires after your first 5 miles, to be safe.

BC.

I would not drive across town with confidence on that tire. Replce it and get over it already.

Sorry but after looking at the pics there is no question it needs to be replaced period. If you have two good ones yet, then put the two used better ones on the front and two new ones on the back. Otherwise put the four on. So you can do one, two, or four-its your call, but one for sure. Now if I were you, I’d do the two. Doing one will mess up normal tire replacement unless you just want to go a while then replace all four again.

There is no way I would make a 1000 mile road trip on a tire like that. I made a trip today down I-65. From Indianapolis, Indiana to 100 miles south of Louisville, Kentucky, I drove through a terrible conditions. Louisville received 6" of rain in an hour and 15 minutes. I was told that I-65 was closed for a while through Louisville. There is no way that I would want to drive on a tire like yours in these conditions.

I’ve worked in the automotive service industry for 40 years. I’m shocked at some of the questions I see or hear on Car Talk.
You have a BIG expensive “road barge”, and you’ve put those God Awful oversized wheels and low profile tires on it. You’ve made your “road barge” look like a covered wagon. You’ve altered its handling and it probably vibrates at 55 mph. Now you’ve decided to be CHEAP and endanger yourself, your family, and other motorists.
Replace the tire!

…or Japan.

Most of the folks posting on this page have apparently not read the previous page.
On 08/03/2009, at 2:49:47 PM, the OP informed us that he had finally decided to open his wallet and he did replace all 4 tires. That is the good news.

The bad news is that he bought another set of those ultra-low profile tires for his SUV.
Why would a law-abiding citizen want his vehicle to mimic those of pimps and purveyors of controlled dangerous substances?

Oh, I think you had a really bad day. I had a similar problem just before starting a carnival cruises vacation. I can imagine how you feel when you have prepared for this for a while and then you should delay or even cancel your trip.

I think this is pretty bad luck. I should better check my car before I starting to visit the hotels on the beach in Hawaii. I was planning to make a trip this month and I don’t want any surprises.