Cruise control control problem

My 2000 Honda CR-V cruise control runs anywhere from a 5 miles to 10 miles before the vehicle revs but the car begins to slow down. It’s like it’s still going 70mph, but it’s not moving forward. This happens every time I set it and at any speed from 40 -70. Only the distance varies, although it always seems like less then 10 miles.
This is an automatic transmission, that was rebuilt about two years ago.
I read a 2014 post where someone appeared to be having a similar problem with a 2003 CR-V and a suggestion was “consider checking the brake light switch as a first step. It could be out of adjustment or as is sometimes the case, the small pad on the pedal that makes contact with the switch plunger will become indented. The indentation is slight but can be enough to affect cruise control functions.”
I only mention this because I had that switch replaced about 4 years ago, but cruise continued to work properly after that, like it always had.
Thanks.

Don’t assume this isn’t the problem because it easily could be out of adjustment in that 4 years and a lot of other things have worn as well.

Have a friend look at the rear of the car and you very lightly touch or wiggle the brake pedal. Does the brake light flicker? Stay on? It shouldn’t when you press the pedal and it moves 1/2 inch to an inch that’s when the light should come on.

The recommendation for checking the brake light switch was for cruise control that didn’t disengage when it should.

Your problem seems like it might not be related to the cruise control at all, but rather seems like a disengagement between the engine and the wheels somewhere. Since the transmission was recently rebuilt, that is where I’d start. Start by checking the fluid level and condition. If the fluid is fine, it could be some kind of electronic module that is failing on the transmission.

2 Likes

Thanks Mustang, I’ll try that and post what happens.

1 Like

Wiggled and lightly moved the pedal a lot and did not get any flickering of the brake lights. Brake lights do work when depressed.

You state:

That sounds like a problem with the transmission when the transmission fluid gets hot.
So I concur with Whitey.

2 Likes

Whitey and Purebred. Yeah, I just had the transmission fluid changed in March and have checked it a couple of times, looks clean and normal to me.
I have the shop manual for my vehicle and am looking at the component location and circuit diagram (over my knowledge base, but at least seeing what is where).

Hondas take a VERY specific transmission fluid. If a “compatible with” or a “works with” fluid was used, that could very well be the source of the problem.

Thanks old_mopar_guy. The thing is that this was occurring prior to the fluid change and the original fluid was put in by the tranny shop that rebuilt the tranny, so I’m assuming it was the correct fluid.
You guys suggest I pay to have the fluid changed again making certain it’s correct fluid.
In addition to the brake light switch in the pedal, would you recommend changing the cruise control unit and/or the actuator assembly and vacuum tank. There is also the gear position switch.
And if so, which should I try first?

No, I never recommend doing maintenance when what you need is a repair. You’re supposed to do maintenance to prevent problems, not to solve them.

I suggest you visit a shop that diagnoses and fixes problems rather than the one you’ve been using.

Could that be because you hardly need cruise at 40 or less and some units will not activate at low speed. The cruise sounds like a red herring rather then the problem.

I don’t think it is the cruise control, if the transmission is slipping the cruise control is bringing up the RPMs in an attempt to maintain the set speed. Next time turn off the cruise and try accelerating.

1 Like

Concur w/ @purebred 's comments above, OP should experiment to see this symptom happens without the cruise control engaged. If it does , mostly like an automatic transmission slipping problem. That could possibly be caused by electronic and transmission solenoid faults, but more likely on a 2000 model, the cause would be the clutches and bands are plain worn out and need replacing. Generally the first step in the process is to do a proper transmission service and see if that helps or not.