COVID-19 Driver License... What? No Road Test Required?

Am I a bad person because I find these arguments amusing ?? It’s cool if I am…so no worries

2 Likes

If people don’t want their opinions to be called stupid, they shouldn’t say blatantly stupid things. While people have the right to express their opinion, they do not have the right to dictate society’s reactions to them. There are consequences to spouting asinine codswallop, and those consequences often include being told that what you said was dumb.

Then stop whinging about what I said.

5 Likes

The test in Ohio didn’t weed out my sister or my 62 year old mother when each got their licenses. My mom failed twice. My sister once before passing. Both are/were awful drivers.

My mother used to knock the mirrors off parked cars in her neighborhood. My sister once got pulled over for a suspected DUI when she was stone cold sober.

So I have little faith in the test’s ability to keep bad drivers off the road.

1 Like

I agree. Besides, it’s not just driving skills that make a good driver. It’s also things like obeying laws when nobody is looking and driving sober at all times, etcetera.

I feel that a lot of things being done now in the name of COVID-19 will become permanent, once the thing and its fear evaporates. Some jobs won’t be coming back. Some regulations enacted now won’t be coming back.

Some law enforcement and other government services will probably be scaled back to operate with less money.

My son works in a shut down state, but he’s considered to be working in an “essential business,” hardware. He’s a controller for a small chain of hardware stores. He said their sales are twice normal, but they’re doing that with half the normal number of employees. The owner has given all those workers a handsome bonus. Who knows, maybe not all will be called back.

I know that is happening in the health care field right now. At a hospital in my other state they’ve had lay-offs in the thousands of employees and elimination of hundreds more.

It could turn out that driver tests are “mailed in” in more places than just Georgia. It will be a different world out there.
CSA
:palm_tree: :sunglasses: :palm_tree:

I disagree. It’s time stupidity get called out. You should appreciate that concept. Personal responsibility and all that. Part of personal responsibility is being open minded enough to accept that people who tell you you’re spouting stupidity might be right, and it’s time to self-examine to see if maybe you need to rethink things.

Welcome to the internet. Anything posted in a public forum is subject to replies. You might not like some of those replies.

I, erm, have found the best solution to what you feel is “judging” is to let it stand on its own merit or lack thereof, not to call it “judging.”

If you can’t accept that you might not like some of the replies to your coronavirus topics, which by the way have been borderline flamebait ever since Carolyn shut you down on the over-the-top COVID-19 trolling, then you probably shouldn’t start the discussion.

I typed what I meant to type. Look it up.

4 Likes

I think I should rephrase this by saying when I say stupid things, I would be offended at the response. There’s many of times I’ve made a statement and overlooked a detail here and there, and looked pretty stupid. Yes some of the responses were rude and offensive, but my point is that there are rude and offensive people out there and if someone offends me on internet forums, I think it’s just as well to man up, chuckle and move on. But I will confess, like @honda blackbird says, it can get pretty entertaining.

Never heard of codswallup before, it is a forum, don’t get your undies bunched up. Keep it to cars so Caroline does not have to moderate.

You said it

On that note, let’s all be friends . . .

:smile_cat:

2 Likes

Grasshopper, why does Albert suddenly sound like he too could be in a Kung-Fu movie?

1 Like

Wow. Maybe just go pop a top on your favorite beverage and think about things. Having been on the receiving end of your opinions, one has to wonder if in view of the pandemic you have changed your opinion at all on the advisability of mass transit and increased population density? Maybe we can find a way to disagree without total mayhem just because someone uses what some consider “trigger” words. Blue skies.

2 Likes

You were saying . . . ?!

The Firebird . . . ?! . . . looks fairly stock

My BIL had one like that only lime green.

The drivers test in NY state doesn’t really test anything except parking skills. My father in law was one of the worst drivers I ever knew and it must be hereditary. He was dangerous not because he sped, he didn’t. He drove looking at the ground as close in front of his car to avoid potholes and if he saw one he would swerve to avoid it with no Idea of what was around him. He drove like this on expressway too and never looked more than a car lenght sometimes at or below the speed limit in the left hand lane. At the last minute he would see his exit and gust turn right and rant about all the idiots that were trying to kill him. When he was driving in the right lane and it widened for an exit he would start to take the exit and the suddenly swerve left back into the driving lane. Both he and my wife passed their tests on the first try.

If I had my way, to take your test you would have to rent a detuned race car and get down to a certain lap time without spinning or hitting the wall or going off course depending on they track.

1 Like

I see people do this all the time

they’re in the left lane doing 75 and just cruising

All of a sudden they see their exit

And they cross 3 lanes of traffic

without signaling

without even turning their head to look what’s next to or behind them

Mom did something similar years ago. She saw her exit, realized we were in the wrong lane, and simply stopped dead in the middle of the Interstate with her right turn signal on, waiting for the other traffic to yield.

You just described almost all of the NY drivers who venture into NJ. If there is a backup on the interstate, it’s almost always because a NYer is clogging-up the left lane, at 5-10 mph below the speed limit

Additionally, they don’t seem to comprehend signs (both in English and in “universal” graphics) warning that no left turns are allowed. On extremely busy US Route 1, it is not unusual to see cars with NY plates stopped–dead–in the left lane, next to one of those signs, trying to peer over the concrete divider in order to make an illegal left turn. I have never observed a car with NJ plates doing this, and it is rare to see that behavior with cars bearing other out-of-state plates, but it is an almost daily occurrence with NY drivers.
:grimacing:

[quote=“VDCdriver, post:64, topic:163611”]
Additionally, they don’t seem to comprehend signs (both in English and in “universal” graphics) warning that no left turns are allowed. On extremely busy US Route 1,

You have me wondering about something.When I was still working I was through NJ many time’s it took me awhile to get used to the left turn from the right lane ,jug handle, roundabout, etc. That was before GPS does the GPS give direction’s the NJ way or do you have to ignore it if it say’s to make a left turn and do it the way you know? If so I could see the confusion with any one not knowing the NJ way.

No GPS that I have ever seen was so screwed-up that it directed someone to make an illegal left turn, especially when there was a jughandle present. They may exist, but I haven’t seen one that bad.

1 Like

Thank you I was curious like I said GPS was not around when I was in NJ. it took me quit a while to get used to the NJ way since I would be there and leave I might be back in a week or two or it might be many month’s or year’s before I would be back through NJ.