Question about florida’s dmv

So im 15 and about to get my permit but i am confused on one thing do i get the eye and hearing test at the dmv when im going to get my permit in the same day and also is the parent consent form and certificate of address be signed by an dl examiner at the dmv?

Go to the Florida DMV website and you should find your answers .

2 Likes

yea i went there but im just confused because they dont talk about the procedures or anything they just tell me that i need to pass the eye and hearing test and to get it signed but im not sure

If the website is confusing go to the DMV and talk with a real person.

3 Likes

I did a Google search ( How does a 15 year old get a Florida drivers permit ) and found all the information needed. Even how to take some of the tests online.

1 Like

Mustangman should know but normally you just do the eye test and everything right there at the time. Just have the paperwork in order. It’s been 60 years for me. Second time around I just picked it up from the judge. No eye test but I gave him one with my hand in my pocket. How many fingers am I holding up? Heh heh.

But don’t you have to take and pass the written test for the permit?

Ill call the dmv tomorrow to make sure but i wanna ask people first so i dont go overthinking and everything about this for the whole day of school and i just really wanna make sure were doing everything right to not waste my parents time of taking me

Vision and hearing tests are performed at the motor vehicle service center when applying for the permit.

Signatures must be witnessed by a DL examiner, don’t sign anything until instructed to so the examiner can witness your guardian and your signature.

Information and links are found on this page;

Licensing Requirements for Teens, Graduated Driver License Laws and Driving Curfews - Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (flhsmv.gov)

2 Likes

Nice work. Gotta a feeling all the ts haven’t been crossed yet.

Did not know about the hearing test! I guess just talking to the DMV clerk was adequate!
BTW, I called our county DMV, they were pleasant answering a question on the phone, the appointment system works very well.
Good luck on your testing and training. Hope your HS offered drivers education.

I live in Florida but have not had a 15 year old needing a permit here.

That said, head over to the DMV to apply for your permit with your parent or other adult and be ready to take the test, hearing and eye exam at the same time. The DMV will tell you what to do and when. It is not like you have to study to take the eye and hearing test.:grinning:

At age 81, I had to renew my driver’s license. I was given a vision test which I passed and then had my picture taken for my license.
After this was done, the woman who was taking care of my renewal then said, "There is one question you need to answer correctly before your license can be renewed: ‘What was the make and year of the vehicle you took your driver’s road test when you were first issued an operator’s license?’ "
I responded “1954 Buick with a 3 speed column shift manual transmission”.
She looked at her computer screen and said, “That is exactly correct. Your license is renewed”. She then laughed and said, “I took my driver’s test in a 1961’Valiant with a push button three speed automatic transmission and a 225 cubic inch engine”.
I remarked to her that the Valiant must have been an old car when she took the test. She admitted that it was. I would guess that the license bureau employee was in her mid thirties. There were no customers waiting, so we chatted a few minutes about old cars. She was an old car fanatic.

3 Likes

I did not know about the hearing test either, but that could be it only crops up if the DMV reprehensive is notified of this by the applicant or they are having trouble communicating with the applicant. However; all 50-states allow a deaf or hearing impaired person to have a driver’s license. In Virginia, they offer special help in getting a permit and license. The state wants to know if you have a hearing issue and if so, you put a special indicator on your driver’s license for Law Enforcement.

Ha ha I could answer that no problem. It was a green 61 merc, automatic, in a blinding snow storm. I had to stop and clean the rear window off. Maybe I lost point on that but there were no back up cameras then. The deputy was very tall and I’m short so I remember him scrunched up on the bench seat. On week ends he was the bouncer at a teen dance hall. Oh to be young.

Before I took my road test in 1965, some of my friends reported that they had been required to use hand signals during their test. So,I asked the inspector if he wanted me to use hand signals, or if I could just rely on the car’s directional signals.
His answer?
“Use your own judgment.”
:thinking:

So, I decided that, in order to make sure that the inspector couldn’t find fault, I would use both the car’s directionals and hand signals. I thought that I was doing well until he suddenly announced, “That’s one point”.

Confused, I asked him what mistake I had made, and his response was, “You didn’t use a hand signal when you stopped at the traffic light”. He went on to say that I would have been okay if I had just relied on the car’s signal lights, but once I began using hand signals for turns, I had to be consistent, and to use hand signals for stopping also.

At that point, I was sweating the parallel parking test because also failing that would fail me on my road test. Luckily, I was able to do an acceptable job of parallel parking.

Ha ha. We had bike trading in grade school to learn hand signals… really funny watching old goats riding their bikes with right arm extended to the right to make a right turn. Maybe their elbows don’t work anymore.

I can’t speak to Florida specifically, but I expect everything that’s required will be done at the DMV office as part of their initial DL test procedure. Even if you decide you don’t need to ask the DMV staff anything, suggest you still go there a couple of time before taking your test, to get a feel for the terrain. Watch them give other people their tests, or at least as they drive away and come back. Figure out which is the easier parking lot exit and entrance to maneuver, less pedestrian sidewalk traffic, etc. Go for a walk around the DMV’s neighborhood & note where all of the stop signs are located. If possible ask someone who just took the test the route they were told to drive. Here in Calif they usually require you drive on a route that includes special lanes, for example lanes you can only use if there are 3 people in the vehicle, etc. Automatic fail if you drive in one of those lanes during the test. Unless you are really experienced driving a manual transmission car, try to take your test in an automatic transmission car. The day before make sure everything on the car works correctly, no dashboard warning lights, and especially that all of the brake lights work.

It’s for a permit so no driving the car. Around here you need an appointment to go in so no hanging around.

NH is weird. You don’t need a permit to drive a car. at 15 and a half you can start driving with an adult over the age of 21 in the car. The problem with that is you can only drive in NH. We live in a border town with MA. None of my kids could drive the car to the nearest Walmart in MA.

I learned to drive in NY. Most states are like NY. You take a written test to get a permit. Then after you’ve had the permit for a few months you can take the road test. In NH you don’t take the written test until you’re ready to take the road test. So backwards.

Minnesota is just by age. 15 for a permit and 16 for a license. South Dakota is 14 but less things to hit there and farm kids can drive on the roads for farm business. They grow up fast on the farm.