Clutch on automatic covered under Powertrain?

I think this may just be a simple misunderstanding. A clutch on a manual transmission might not be covered, b/c an owner could not be careful with their pedal-work and abuse the clutch. But the clutch(s) aren’t directly operated by the owner with an automatic transmission, so you’d expect it to be covered in the powertrain warranty for an automatic. I’ll bet the dealership is just confused about the transmission type is all.

Finally after a week, I just got a call. It’s being covered under the powertrain.

1 Like

@TimGoose
"Finally after a week, I just got a call. It’s being covered under the powertrain."

Good news! Now, if they hadn’t given you an initial surprise… and if they hadn’t taken a week…

Let us know how everything turns out for you.
CSA

My Kia’s 10 year 100,000 mile powertrain warranty only covers the original owner.

OP stated they had a 100000 mile warranty on a used car. My feeling is that it is an purchased extended warranty and sometimes it can take a few days for work approval. Plus I suspect some communication failures.

OP stated they had a 100000 mile warranty on a used car. My feeling is that it is an purchased extended warranty and sometimes it can take a few days for work approval. Plus I suspect some communication failures.

Not necessarily…My son bought a used certified Mazda from a Mazda dealer…and it came with 7yr/100,000 mile powertrain warranty.

Mine did come with the manufacturer 5 yr. /100k

Hey Tim I know this forum is a bit old but I am having the same problem with my 2013 Dodge Dart and the dealership is telling me it is not covered under warranty, what are the steps you took to get it covered? Thanks, Joe

Just keep pushing the dealership. Had no luck with Dodge. Pushed dealership for almost two weeks until they agreed.

Just got off the phone with dodge and had the same results, any specific bullet points when talking to dealership?

Same questions to you that Tim was asked last year by CSA:

Also, did you buy new or used?

Everything checks out up until I did buy the car used at 18000 miles

as long as you paid all of the transfer fees and the manufacturer’s original power train warranty transferred, then persistence will be key. Ask for a manager to explain why it wasn’t covered, maybe kick it higher up the food chain at Dodge (the number is in your owners manual). You also have an automatic, I assume?

Yeah I have the same model as Tim with less miles

My argument was that it was not part of the transmission. And that there was nothing I could do as a driver to damage a clutch in an automatic. Just keep pushing. They will give.

Exactly. Like I said @Joericc24 if the dealership keeps balking, you’ll need to escalate this with Dodge. Keep all of your old maintenance records and stick with the facts when you escalate the issue.

How about drag racing?

;-]

Your owner’s manual came with a path to follow to get the manufacturer involved should you fail to get satisfactory support from the dealership’s shop. Document everything, keep your copies of all shop orders, and follow the protocol defined in the aforementioned document.

Sincere bests.

Okay it seems like everything will work out with warranty and they are waiting on parts. My other question for you is have you had any other issues with this car since the clutch being fixed

The way it was told to me for the GM powertrain warranty anyway is that it covers anything that is touched by oil/trans fluid. Clutches in an automatic are internal and would be covered by GM. Clutches in a manual would not though. So time to pursue with Fiat further.