Closing barn door after cow already escaped?

We know how to have fun. :wink:

3 Likes

Well it happened againā€¦ A guy was trying to steal my sonā€™s catalytic converter againā€¦ I posted about this last Novemberā€¦

And I got some push back and I followed up with another postingā€¦

And even after having a chain link guard welded in place to cover the catalytic converter, some idiot tried to saw through that to get at the catā€¦ He was at work and there were lots of other vehicles to choose from but they chose my sonā€™s vanā€¦

Luckily, one of his co-workers came out, saw what was going on and chased them away. My son has now added Concertina Wire to the Chain Link guardā€¦

It seems like a would-be cat-thief would apply common-sense & just move on to another car, rather than do battle with all that wire. But maybe a cat thief would instead see it as a challenge.

Those two terms are mutually exclusive.

3 Likes

Is that mini razor wire?

Now that you mention it, it does not look like the wire we used when I was in the Air Force.

He got it from work. My son is a Master Electrician and heā€™s is working at the construction of a Call Center in Nevada and they use that wire at the location to top the walls around the electrical transformers and such stuffā€¦

I think that there is a difference between concertina wire and razor wire and probably a big difference between manufacturersā€¦

Even if it is stainless a battery angle grinder can take care of that.

Stopped at a hotel in Alabama and my wife and I had the usual conversation on whether to park in back out of sight or in front in clear sight. Limited space but chose the back. While standing outside, a car pulled up next to mine even though there were several other spaces. I waited for the folks to get out of their car but they never did. Thought it strange and decided to move my car. When I moved it that car was gone. Donā€™t need to lose my cat 1000 miles from home. Maybe they just wanted a quiet place for a joint or something but Iā€™m a suspicious guy. People donā€™t lull into a full hotel lot and then not get out.

2 Likes

Unfortunately there are two schools of thought on that, ā€œwhether to park in back out of sight or in front in clear sight.ā€

Years ago, friends of ours were transferring to another Air Force Base and they were driving three vehicles, a pick-up, and two cars (husband, wife, and teenage son). Parking was tight they also had issues like yours and could nto find three close by spots at the hotel.

Since the pickup was loaded and only covered with tarps, they parked it out front, one spot from the entrance.

Next morning, the tarp was partly untied and many of the boxes were missing. The police investigated and several late night checking in residents saw the unloading, but thought nothing of it. The Night manager did come out and told the ā€œthievesā€ that they could not be loading next to the entrance and he said that they said they were just reorganizing the load and would be done shortly.

The night manager was not on duty when my friends checked in so he did not know who drove what vehicle and that his primary concern was trash being left at the frontā€¦

Admittedly, transferring boxes from one vehicle to another is not the same as someone rolling under a car and using a Sawzall on a catalytic converter, but an ā€œexperienced thiefā€ can do it in under two minutesā€¦

So, Iā€™ll ask, if you had chosen to park out front in clear sight and that car had pulled in like they did, would you still have been suspicious and moved your car?

Inquiring Minds Want to Knowā€¦

No I donā€™t think I would have paid much attention to a car parking next to me out front with extra lights on. I have heard it said that if are going to steal, pick a car under a street light and no one will pay any attention.

1 Like

I probably would have ignored them alsoā€¦