Clock spring

I drive a 2000 Grand Voyager with 260,000 miles on it. The airbag light goes on and off and I was told the clock spring is breaking in the steering column. Is there any danger to not having it fixed besides the airbag not going off when it is supposed to, like airbag going off when it is NOT supposed to or function damage to the car or electrical systems. I have mechanics tell me both yes and no. Any thoughts from people here? I’m trying to get as many miles out of it as possible without spending too much on stuff that doesn’t need fixed.

When the airgag light is on then the airbag will not go off which affects safety. The airbag should not go off unexpectedly because the computer has to see several parameters met before the airbag is activated. I would have the clockspring repaired by an independent mechanic.

I don’t know, but given the value in having a working air bag, I’d have the clock spring replaced.

Dorman makes a clock spring for your Dodge sells for about $80.00. the horn and speed control our also part of the clock spring so I would go ahead and have it replaced just becareful doing it, you do have to remove the streerning wheel and the airbag. ps i would stay away from used clocksprings

ps wear your seat belt don’t count on the air bag to work with a ??able clock spring.

The first thing you should do is check with a dealer service department and ask about recall repair on the clockspring. The 96 Caravan I just bought also had the air bag light illuminated. By chance, I was told by another dealer employee that there were outstanding recall notifications on the car I’d just bought, clockspring among them. At least in the case of my vehicle, this recall is defined with the word “lifetime” which I presume means that this repair will always be made under the recall. I just had that job done, no charge. I hope the same applies to you.
–Roadtripper

WesternRoadtripper is correct, The clocksprings on 1996-2000 Chrysler mini vans have a lifetime warranty.

Safety recall B-24, 1996-1998
Safety recall D-17, 1998-2000

REMEDY:
Dealers will replace the clockspring assembly on all covered vehicles with 70,000 miles or less. FOR THOSE VEHICLES WITH MORE THAN 70,000 MILES, DaimlerChrysler will offer an extended lifetime warranty under which it will replace the clockspring at no charge if it fails. DaimlerChrysler will also reimburse owners who have paid to have the clockspring replaced on their vehicles. The recall began on October 12, 2004. Owners should contact DaimlerChrysler at 1-800-853-1403.

I second visiting the dealer on this one. When our 1997 Town & Country’s clockspring went bad several years ago it was replaced for free at the dealer, due to the lifetime warranty.

Me too. I fixed my 2000 Caravan’s clock spring for free under the same recall. Check on allpar.com and call the toll free number before you go. This way you won’t be taken. They will make you sign the paper that if it is NOT the clock spring, you will have to at least pay the diagnostic fee.

Same here. Our clock spring was replaced by a dealer on our 96 Grand Voyager many years and miles after the warranty expired.

Wow, thanks everybody for the responses, I will definitely call the dealer.