Caravan indicates an air bag problem

I drive a 2001 Dodge Caravan 6 cylinder. Recently the the airbag light fails to go out after the car is cranked and running. Suspiciously neither the cruise control nor the horn works. I can’t find anything that is common to all three. Has anyone experienced this or have any ideas?

It sounds like a defective clock spring. This is the device that provides power to the controls on the steering wheel. I think it is under recall for your vehicle. I will look up the recall number and post back.
~Michael

It looks like the recall only covered through 2000 model year. I have included the recall for that vehicle. It will help to explain the problem and shows component location. To see if there is an open recall on your van go to:
http://www.chrysler.com/webselfservice/chrysler/index.jsp?screenName=recall&country=us&emailUrl=goToEmailForm('R')
You will need the last 8 digits of your VIN#.
~Michael

. I can’t find anything that is common to all three. Has anyone experienced this or have any ideas?

What do you mean you can’t find anything that is common??? How about they’re ALL in the steeringwheel??? That’s where I’d start.

Yes, these are the three classic symptoms of a bad clockspring. I know of several owners of Chrysler vans that had these problems go away when they got their clocksprings replaced. As was stated above, a recall applies to some years of these vans for this very item.