2000 Dodge Caravan Horn, Cruise Control, Airbag Not Working

I think all three may be related. Recently, the horn & cruise control stopped working occasionally and the airbag light would stay on, but now it’s all the time. Also, the horn/airbag “area” seems a bit “deflated.”

But here’s what’s really odd: When I turn on the ignition, as the dash lights up, “Cruise” shows up as it always does, in green. But it goes off shortly and pressing the Cruise on/off button does nothing.

The fuse for the horn is fine, has never blown since I took possession at just under 100K. I’m now at 164K on this base model 3.0L Caravan. Also, all other electronic controls from the steering wheel (turn signals, flashers, wipers, ignition, etc) work.

I picked up a handful of relays off a similar model Caravan but changing the relay does not fix the situation.

I need HELP! I may wire in a separate button/fuse to a 2nd set of horns so I will at least have that warning system.

Robert

The clockspring in the steering column has failed. There is a recall/lifetime warranty on the clockspring.

Recall D17;
Microsoft Word - D17 TC.doc (chrysler.com)

4 Likes

I’m guessing Nevada above is correct. The part that’s called the “clock spring” has nothing to do w/a clock. It’s a wire bundle arranged in a coil, so it sort of looks like a clock spring; designed to allow the wires associated with steering wheel controls to flex without breaking when you turn the steering wheel. The wires are not indestructible, and with enough steering wheel turns, they eventually still break, as you’ve unfortunately discovered. It’s a replaceable part, don’t try to mickey-mouse a work-around, don’t swap the relays around on a flier, just ask your shop to replace the faulty clock spring.

Agreed, my 1999 Grand Caravan clock spring was replaced under recall when I had the valve body replaced (I knew the transmission builder for years) in about 2003, they told me about the recall as I was picking the vehicle up…

The clock spring is different part numbers depending on Steering Wheel Audio Controls and Cruise Control options… So everything in the steering wheel seems to go through it…

Hey, I appreciate the thorough reply. My question is, then, would this clock spring also disable the horn and cruise control?

Yes it will.

Airbag Light Due to Failed Clockspring on Dodge Grand Caravan

Problem Description

Illuminated of the airbag warning light may be caused by a lost connection between the clockspring (behind the steering wheel) and the steering wheel-mounted electrical components. Other steering wheel-mounted controls like the horn, speed (cruise) control, or radio controls (if equipped) may be inoperative. There is a lifetime warranty on the clockspring as specified in a combination of recall campaigns. For more information on these recalls please us the following links; 1996-1998 models, please click here». For 1998-2000 models, please click here»

42 people reported this problem

14 comments

Dodge Grand Caravan Vehicles With This Problem

13 model years affected

1994, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006, 2008, 2011, 2012, 2015

It’s called a “Clock Spring” but it’s not a spring like you think of, it’s really a bunch of wires that connect all the controls in your steering wheel.

Yes, Dr. Google was telling me similar info. I appreciate the FAST replies!

BTW, to weekend-warrior, the link for 1998-2000 models gave me this 404 page: https://repairpal.com/chrysler-town__country-recall-04v480000