Ciao, Tom and Ray

I think it would be great if Jay Leno would have Tom and Ray as guests on the “Tonight Show” before the brothers retire.

My husband came home and said he heard some sad news on npr: Tom and Ray are calling it quits… You deserve a break…enjoy your retirement…Would you consider doing seasonal specials? We will miss you guys so very much…All the best and thank you for every single show.
KW

Please reconsider guys! Smelling the cappuccino has never proven to be a good idea for show-biz people…think about it…surely one show a week could go on ad infinitum with plenty of time for whatever… productivity is the true cappuccino… Thanks for so many laughs so many times and such good company.

Tom and ray, thank you for all your years. You will be deeply missed. Having your show and laughter on the weekends was something my wife and I loved and looked forward to. You brought us lots of laughs and gave my wife and I many things to discuss. You two are an American treasure. Best to both of you. Be safe.

I don’t see why the show has to end. Don’t these guys have sons? Ray could wait to retire as one of them is groomed.

So what? I’m going to be 75 in October, too. Do the show, and then, do what I do - take a nap or two. Take a nap before taping, and another after. It’s only an hour a week, after all. You can still change your minds. FIFY.

I’ll miss you guys, for sure.

Oh, Tom and Ray, say it ain’t so. I just heard you’ll be closing up shop at the end of September. I’ve been listening to you guys forever. Your show is the bright spot of my Saturdays. Whatever will I do?! I understand that old shows will be replayed but it won’t be the same. Oh well, I guess all good things must come to an end. I can’t thank you enough for all the laughter and car info you’ve provided over the years. I will miss you terribly but wish you all the best just the same.

P.S. I like Trombenik’s idea. Just take a nap before and after the show… :slight_smile:

Well now you can spend more time with the grandkids doing things like taking naps together. Enjoyed listening over the years, thanks. PS TSM lets try a radio test as long as you can snortle

Thought you might enjoy a comment I made on Facebook in response to a friend’s posting that she was “devastated” about Tom and Ray’s retirement. I wrote: “The Pats lose the Super Bowl, the Bruins and Celtics are knocked out of the playoffs, and the Red Sox suck. Now this!! What’s an ex-New Englander to do?”

Tom and Ray were already phoning it in. I guess the Celtics decided to play as hard as Tom and Ray work.

Ah, come on, guys…I just discovered your website, let alone your radio show a little while ago, & now you’re going to hang up the wrenches? Now I have irrefutable proof that I was born too late-Quality t.v. is nonexistent, they’re building cars the dealers DON’T want you to service yourself(like THEY know what’s going on behind all that technogobbledygook), & now quality radio is really becoming a thing of the past. I have seen the future, & I want no part of it. Enjoy retirement, fellas-you deserve it.

Sad, it is sad. I never thought NPR could exist without Tom & Ray/cartalk.

I have had many days laughing out loud while driving and listening to the show. I guess having reruns is some consolation, but nothing like listening to a brand new show.

Just so you know how much my family know about me and cartalk, last year my father’s day gift was a cartalk daily calender.

My wife would always say: I have never heard grownup men laugh that hard and have so much fun on radio/TV.

I’ll miss the guy’s riffing too much. Sunday morning is CTT (Car Talk Time) in my house. So I’m hoping there’s a work-a-round.

I agree Tommy needs a break from all the non-show related stuff, like local station NPR promos, etc. All that is tedious. But what if all Tommy had to do was co-host the show w/Ray for an hour each week?

How about this: The show continues, but Tommy does the show from his home. He just calls in when the show’s about to start, and Ray’s in the studio pushing the buttons, having done the necessary prep work with the Car Talk staff. They can chit-chat with the callers for an hour, then Tommy’s done for the week.

Do you think Tommy can be talked into a 1 hour per week stint?

If not 1 hour per week, how about 1 hour per month? Tommy? What do you think? The other 3 weeks there could be guest-co-hosts. Real mechanics with grease under their fingernails and tattoos and everything, from around the country. And there could still be repeating segments from the past too.

There’s gotta be a work-a-round. Crossing my fingers!

Guys will still be here, ok whitey I’ll snortle lets meet and do a promo! I think we can inheret the spinning wheel, and what the heck the Barky hmmm whitey does not work, what was your previous alias?

I do work, I just take lots of breaks. :slight_smile:

When I first came here, I published under my real name, but since I take lots of breaks, I didn’t want my employer to get the wrong idea, so I adopted my current moniker.

…and I wouldn’t be a good choice to host the show. I find Tom’s jokes pretty blase. I don’t think the audience would like me. Besides, I’ve never worked as a mechanic, so I could never say, “we see it all the time in the shop” or “I dropped a car off a lift once.”

Thank you
I have come to believe that it is the function of the older generations to nod wisely and speak stupidly. Car Talk has been a guidepost that has kept my marriage happy for 12 years. On our 15th anniversary, I would just like to thank you. Just like the guard rail that is designed to keep cars on the right track, Car Talk’s relationship advice regularly stays on the other side of where I should go. So I ask myself, what would Tom and Ray do? Then by doing the opposite, I stay married. Some seek the brightest path to enlightenment, I seek out so much endarkenment, that I eventually see the light. Thank you for the markers of the doomed relationship path. Yeah and thank you for keeping my crappy 94 Saturn running.

PS. She who must be obeyed must never see this.

Vern,
Portland, Oregon

best wishes guys .I have travelled many a mile listening to you as often as i could. Often it was the highlite of my week. My first thought was that this was bo-oh-oh-oh-gus but all good thing come to an end. you will be missed .

I understand all the pleas to continue in some form…I became a loyal listener in 2003 when a messy divorce led me to 9 miserable years. The weekly shows and podcasts got me through many a lonely time with laughs, good conversation and enough knowledge to at least know what questions to ask.

I’ll miss my two Italian uncles (sadly, my real ones have passed), but I wish them both a long, healthy and happy retirement. They’ve earned it.

Thank you guys so much…I hope you realize how many people you’ve reached.

I’ll listen to the re-runs and will probably still laugh just as much, but still, my Saturday mornings will never be the same. I wish you all the best in your retirement.

My car, a TRIUMPH Herald 1200, my dog and I DEPEND upon and are addicted to the weekly radio show; not some re-cycled and lavishly edited re-creation from the past! It is my spiritual lift and necessity! No one is allowed to call me or speak to me for the 1 hour on Saturday mornings an the 4 markets I listen to it. The show is the ONLY thing that truly lifts my spirits in what has been an overwhelming and depressing past few years. One more loss is a BLOW to me! Besides, I have been waiting for years and years to call in and ask for help on either the Triumph or the 1975 Dodge B100 van. Now, what WILL I do??? After sometime, the relevancy of knitting old shows together will be obsolete…even worse. The Hell with Retiring and having a personal life! This show is what other people DO in retirement. How about once a month or twice a month re-runs mixed with NEW material??? Besides, the show must be a part of what keeps you guys going, too, isn’t it???