Change out speedometer

Yeah, you can buy a lot of sharpies for $50.

Nonsense. They’re not going to make a whole bunch of differences between the two models just to accommodate a swap of the primary readout units of measure. Just look at the two gauges, the needle pointing up at 12 o’clock points to the same readings on both gauges. Just one has MPH larger and the other KPH-

Capture

4 Likes

Yep, it appears the speedo internals are the same km vs mph. I wonder if it’s possible to simply replace the facing graphics label, rather than the entire unit?

Guess that depends of your definition of a lot. But uh, I would only need one Sharpie smh

1 Like

I was also wondering that, thinking about some sort of transparent tape, but it would have to block out the numbers while still showing the gauge. Sounds like a specialty job!

As I thought hard about this last night, I came to this exact same conclusion. It must be the exact same everything on both assemblies, except for the number decals. Thank you for taking the time to help me. Just affirms my belief that dealerships are overpriced and under-schooled!!!

I hope that was tongue in cheek. Mechanics (dealer or otherwise) do the best they can. This is a very odd and rare question, on a car that may have been built before they graduated. I’m sure they’d be glad to take a day to research… at their shop rate.

Just saying…

There are several options I can think of to create a mph graphics to paste over the existing one, but none are super-simple. What I’d probably do in that situation is post an advertisement at the local college’s art department. Some graphics-art student in need of some extra cash would probably take on the job for a reasonable price.

Maybe print 10, 20, etc in big font on clear plastic adhesive sheet, cut out, and stick on? Kinkos used to charge $5 to run a photo copy thru on that special “paper”.

You can buy a used cluster for as little as $30 on ebay.
What is your definition of a reasonable price?

The college art student is probably gonna charge more than $30. So I concur, if OP can obtain a used mph cluster that is known to be reliable and accurate, that’s the way to go. The only other factor in the decision, is the removal & installation difficulty. The latter would only apply if it is possible to install a new graphics overlay without first having to remove the unit from the dashboard.

Oh, I was thinking… stick the labels to the plastic face. I put markers on one of mine to show my 3 normal travel speeds (years ago).