CD Player Question

I had a 2007 Cadillac STS, with the Bose 5.1 Surround Sound Stereo system with a 6 disc in-dash CD changer. In the four years I had the car, the CD operated such that, upon returning to the car, the CD would re-start the track that was playing when I left the car. That is, if I was in the middle of track 6, when I came back the player would start at the beginning of track 6.

I just traded for a 2011 STS, similarly equipped. The CD does not work the same as the 2007 model. The CD starts to play from wherever the track was when I exited the car (as is the case with most other vehicles).

I had the CD player in the 2007 STS replaced twice, due to problems with the changer locking up. After each replacement, the CD operated the same as the original model.

The 2011 version appears to be exactly the same radio/CD player, but work differently.

I checked all the user settings, and do not see where this is an option that can be selected by the user.

And your question is . . . ?

It’s NOT an option that can be selected by the user. It’s designed to work one specific way. LIVE WITH IT…or go to Crutchfield.com and buy yourself a new one that works the way you want it to.

At the risk of speaking around your question, IMO, the CD player for a car will fast become the 8 track. Dump it and don’t use your valuable and limited access CD’s in a hostile car environment. There are too many mp3 options out there with sound quality less than that of the cd, but seldom realized in the acoustically contaminated car environment. Convert everything to mp3 on your computer, plug your player into your car receiver and and have at it.

As others have suggested, it is what it is.
Just because it operates differently, that does not mean that it operates incorrectly.

To be honest with you, if you are so precisely focused on exactly what part of a song or song track was playing when you were last driving the car, this may indicate that you are too focused on the music, and not focused sufficiently on the task of driving the car. Music is supposed to be a background noise, not the main focus when operating a motor vehicle.

All of that being said, I find that listening to the same music over and over again is not very interesting–even as background noise. Even though I was initially skeptical about satellite radio, I have found that it is much more interesting to have an ever-changing musical selection playing in the background, as opposed to hearing the same tracks over and over again. Have you given satellite radio a fair chance as an alternative to those same few CDs?

If you like it the old way better, press “rewind.”

I think the new way is better. If I make frequent stops, I don’t want to hear the beginning of the same song more than once.

I had a problem like this with early MP3 players. Since the cigarette lighter socket goes dead when you shut off the key, killing power to anything you’re running from that, my player would reset so when I started back up I had to go hunting through all the tracks to find where I was at.

And because a lot of what I was listening to was NPR shows stored as hour-long tracks, I then had to spend ten to fifteen minutes holding down the fast-forward button to get to the point in the track where I’d left off.

Mine have files put in play list that the player returns to for music. I don’t think there’s an easy solution for continuous play items. Maybe some players have a feature for that problem. I do have a visual locator tap that will get to an approximate location on a file. then you’ll have to visually remember it before shut off.

You mean you have to start your car to light a cigarette? In my day we didn’t have that problem.

Get an iPod (or probably any cheaper generic MPIII player), get the device that allows you to send your iPod feed to your FM radio; it’s a short range FM transmitter.

CD answer, only one I know: Roxette, Tourism. How Do You Do? Good song.

I don’t smoke, but yeah, the outlet goes dead when you kill the engine. It can’t be used to charge your gizmos while you go into Denny’s for breakfast, and you can’t use one of those little DC refrigerators on long road trips if you’re going to park and do other things along the way.

And as I said the music problem was on the first few MP3 gadgets I had, first a Discman-style player that could handle MP3 discs, then others that you could shove a USB drive full of tunes into. My current head unit has the USB slot built in and it knows to pick up from the same spot, even if you pull the drive out while you’re stopped. (It’s not smart enough to keep track of its place on several drives at once though, so organizing the programming is important.)