Cars for tall people

My husband, who is about 6"2", often hits his head getting in and out of my 98 Civic. It has recently become a life threatening issue since he is recovering from a brain hemorrhage. So, we are looking for a car with easy access for a tall person. Any ideas would be most welcome. Thanks!!!

You might want to look at the CRV, Rav4, or Forester.

If you’re looking to stay similar size to the Civic, you might check out the Echo, it looks to have a pretty tall roofline, I’ve heard that it’s pretty accommodating.

The ultimate headroom compact vehicle is the previous generation Scion xB. Tons of headroom if its styling is your cup of tea.

The Volkswagen New Beetle has very wide door openings and a very tall interior.

I agree about the civic. I have been banging my head on my sister’s for 14 years. They sure are reliable, but are not a good fit for tall women or men. Also, you feel like you’re sitting on the floor. I have a VW Golf. (now called the Rabbit again). This car has plenty of room for me and my 6’1" boyfriend. The roof line is higher I think.

It depends really on where most of his height it located. Does he have a long inseam, or is it all torso?
I test drove a Mini Cooper Clubman that had pretty good headroom and plenty of leg room, and I have a 30" inseam and am 5’10".
though, the only real way top find out is to take a few days and shop around, do not rule ANYTHING out

I suggest trying out any car that interest you. You may not like the car I like. Don’t assume anything from looks, get in there and sit down. Find out if the seat has a height adjustment and if so play with it. Comfort is a very subjective value. You are the best judge.

Cars with power seats usually provide height adjustment. Probably any car with power seats would work. I’m 6-feet tall; mostly torso, and like to keep the seat all the way up. I drive a 2005 Accord and don’t hit the roof, even with a moon roof.

That brings up another issue: moon or sun roofs reduce headroom.

I’m about 6’3". I weigh about 315. I drove a Toyota Echo for four years. I had to thread myself around the steering wheel. My neck would suffer from the bending. Once inside, I had plenty of headroom. However, my left knee rested on the window crank. Ouch. When my legs relaxed, the right knee was on the fairly sharp corner of the radio housing. I was able to tune it out for about three years, then I began to realize how unhappy I was with that situation.

Last April, I test sat in a Yaris briefly. I thought it had more room. Two weeks ago, I took a test drive, which was too brief. I bought it. It didn’t take long to figure out I hadn’t gained much comfort. I’m still threading myself around the steering wheel. My legs tend to flop outward when relaxed, so they’re still contacting the door handle bar and the control housing for the air conditioner.

Today, I spent a couple of hours test sitting in all sorts of cars, some of them really big and expensive. I didn’t gain much leg comfort. It seems all the manufacturers have equipment consoles. My memory is fading, but I do believe my 1995 Ford Aspire was much more comfortable.

You went from an Aspire, to an Echo and now to a Yaris?!? It surprises me that a person of your stature has such a love of sub-compact cars!

Try a 2009 Corolla. I have one and I am 6’1" tall.

Try a Honda Element. Vast amount of head room.

It depends really on where most of his height it located. Does he have a long inseam, or is it all torso?

Yup…I’m 6’3 with a 35" inseam…A friend of mine is 5’11 and when we sit down he’s taller…He has Fred Flintstone legs (29" inseam).

I’m 6’8", 345 lbs and drive a Mazda 3. For what on the outside is a small car, the inside is roomy! (I think it has a bit of Tardis action going!)

My question is: Has anyone found a small SUV or transitional car that is good for the tall amongst us?

Basketball player? 6’8"?

I’m 6’3", 190 lbs and I just bought a Toyota Matrix and find I have plenty of room for a small car. It’s classified as a crossover utility. (sport wagon)

Some taller owners(~6’5") of the Mazda CX-7 have reported it having a roomy interior

I always liked the scene in “Police Academy” where Hightower and another cadet take a Honda Civic out to hone Hightower’s driving skills. Hightower rips out the front seat and drives from the back seat. I’m 6’ 2" tall and I felt like doing the same thing when I drove one of the Honda Civic Hybrid cars that is in the fleet at the university where I am employed 200 miles to a convention. It was hard to get in and out and needed about another inch of legroom for me. I am most comfortable in either our Chevrolet Uplander minivan or our Toyota 4Runner SUV. These vehicles give me plenty of leg and head room, are easy to enter and exit, and are comfortable on long trips.,

No, not a basketball player, but mist of that hight is in my back (only a 34" inseam). I’ll report back and let you know how the “trying on cars” experience is going. Thus far it has been very frustrating. I’ve come upon several small SUVs that seem to fit, but when you go to get options (leather seats, a reasonable stereo, etc) you can only get them in packages that include a sun roof! It’s so bad that, on one car companies web site it will not even let you click on the options until you have selected “sun roof.” Any suggestions?

but when you go to get options (leather seats, a reasonable stereo, etc) you can only get them in packages that include a sun roof! It’s so bad that, on one car companies web site it will not even let you click on the options until you have selected “sun roof.” Any suggestions?

Stop looking only at Toyota? :stuck_out_tongue:
I feel your pain about the useless options when you only want 1 or 2 things. Ford and Chevy I think are pretty good about excluding a sunroof if you don’t want it in a package with extras