Car won’t turn over

From her cat, judging from her avatar and her history of out-there advice.

3 Likes

You could be right, I haven’t tested the voltage while turning key, but all my wires running to the starter from the battery looked in good condition from what I could see…and I didn’t switch my battery with a good one of the same group size and still nothin…I appreciate all the advice though guys, it could be the engine seizing up, but wouldn’t that not happen considering it’s my daily driver and I Change my oil and check it often.

Purebred I will try this, I didn’t think it could be Something seized up but at this point I’m out of options, been watching videos on it, gonna mess with it see what happens…btw I’m no mechanic, I actually remodel homes, so I appreciate you’re guys help haha seriously!

The question is not whether the wires look good to you, but whether they look good to the electrons.

2 Likes

The problem has been diagnosed…and for anyone who may have this problem and nothing else has worked…crankshaft sensor! Appreciate the help everyone!

Crankshaft sensor OK/not OK has no effect on whether the engine will turn over (crank, spin.)

1 Like

I didn’t think that would cause it to not be able to crank, and I honestly I don’t fully understand why it did yet, but it was the culprit

If this was done by a mechanic, quite possible something not listed was done. Perhaps the battery was disconnected, when reconnected a better connection was made.

3 Likes

Nah scratch that, car now how no power and rpms are staying around 2000…wasn’t a battery my guy…we’ve been through this

Jessica was more on to it than you haha

Purebred didn’t suggest it was the battery, he said perhaps it was a loose battery connection. And still could be. And if you are gonna start getting nasty, don’t expect much more help from here…

3 Likes

Jessica has never made a logical post .

2 Likes

I do appreciate the help…sorry to purebred for sounding bitchy…I finally gave in and had my car serviced at a local mechanic…they said it was the crankshaft sensor, I had it replaced and now my car has no power and the rpm are unresponsive…how does a car go from working perfectly fine, no losing power issues…to not cranking at all…to barely wanting to crank and having the power issues, was this even ever a crankshaft sensor or have I just been scammed…I wish it was the battery! I could fix that, but like I’ve said I switched my battery out with an known properly charged battery and I had the same problem…$209 wasted and the mechanic wants me to come back haha

Volvo you’re always on it with the burns😂

$209 to replace a crankshaft sensor isn’t bad at all- and it can be a very logical guess. Many times crankshaft sensors will go bad intermittently, and not give any reasons or throw any codes. With certain issues on some vehicles- it is a very viable first move.

I’ll also add that a completely charged battery does not equal a good battery. It needs to be properly tested to make sure it is handling the needed load properly. And a good battery will only do some much with corroded, loose, or dirty cables and connections.

and I’ll also add that this is a family oriented forum, so please refrain from the foul language. We like to help, but the language will get you flagged.

2 Likes

Eh, no offense taken.
Don’t know what king of mechanic you had do the repair on your car.
It may have needed a crankshaft position sensor, but that does not explain the no crank situation. And, obviously, since you now have new problems you have a choice, take it back to the mechanic that did the work, tell him what it is doing after his repair or find a different mechanic.

3 Likes

The trouble is that in general, mechanics aren’t supposed to guess. They’re supposed to diagnose.

2 Likes

+1
From afar, all that we can do in most cases is to guess.
A qualified mechanic who can personally examine a vehicle isn’t supposed to be guessing–at the expense of the customer’s wallet.

3 Likes

while I completely agree with both of you, intermittent issues can sometimes be very troublesome to find- even for the best of mechanics. Customers don’t want to pay for 10 hours of diagnoses that may or may not replicate the actual concern. Sometimes (and I always offer it up as such,) a “best guess scenario” can be the best course of action. And no- I do not like doing that, I’d much rather be able to show a broken part or failed sensor. But I have done that- and more often that not, that “best guess scenario” has been to replace a crankshaft position sensor.

Yeah, I can see that happening some time, but the responsible thing to do in such cases is to tell the customer “look, I don’t know for sure what it is because it’s too intermittent to test, but if I had to make an educated guess it’s X-widget. I can replace it, but there’s no guarantee that it will actually fix the problem even though I suspect it will.”

The reason I got into repairing my own cars is because I had a mechanic who guessed a lot, but who would tell me with total confidence “Yep, the problem is X-widget.” I spent over a grand with him as a college student who didn’t exactly have the money to spare, and that taught me that I’d better learn about this stuff myself, at least enough so that I can recognize a wild-guesser when I see one.

3 Likes