Car windshield repair

At least one glass company here has a way when you get a quote online to send them a photo of the damage, then they’ll give you an idea of what’s going to be the best way to fix it.

1 Like

Yeah I think you should just have the glass shop take a look. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t. If it is in your field of vision though, you want to make sure it is a good job. Myself, I’d just put a new windshield in and be done with it.

When you insure a used car, agents will either take a look or have you indicate any pre-existing glass or body damage, depending how well you know the agent. Pre-existing damage is not covered, obviously.

Not according to the windshield repair places around here. They say if it’s smaller then 6" it can be fixed.

I have seen some sites that say a 17 inch long crack can be repaired , one said 6 inches or less , and one that said chips or any damaged can’t be larger that a quarter coin.

The local glass shop here will not repair a crack because they had too many come back complaining even if it was a new crack. So just let the shop say what they will do and get a second opinion if needed.

If you aren’t required to get it fixed where you live, find out if local repair shops think it can be repaired and how much it will cost. Your local laws will govern whether it must be repaired or not. If you decide not to fix it, the widow will not end up in your face if it is safety glass. Safety glass has sheets of glass laminated with a plastic core to keep it from shattering.

In some states, that would not pass inspection…do the safe thing, replace the windshield, it protects you, and insures that you can see the road clearly.

The OP already told us that…

He should definitely do so, even if his foreign country has no vehicle safety inspections.

Thank you for all of your comments it was very helpful for me. The problem is fixed now.

What was done to ’ Fix ’ the problem ?

Hi Volvo,
Replaced the whole windshield.
Thank you.

4 Likes

@usmanakhtar, if you do not mind me asking, where do you live? We occasionally get visitors outside the USA, and it’s interesting to find that out.

Hello jstanders,
I live in Seoul, South Korea :slight_smile:

1 Like

I went to a conference in Gangnam, and had a great time. We had a tour of a pharmaceutical plant. Very modern, including robotic logistics equipment. The big thing I learned from the trip work-wise is that Koreans work hard and are fully capable of competing with anyone. I also enjoyed my day as a tourist. I walked from the Gangnam district to the Royal Palace and back to the hotel. A long, but interesting day.

1 Like

@jtsanders
Good to see your message, wow next time when you will come let me know :slight_smile: yes Korea is very advance in technology :slight_smile: Seems like you had a very good time…last year i also went to the conference in San Francisco had a great time :slight_smile:

1 Like

When my brother-in-law was a plant manager for Chryco…they had a lot of Korean robotics. This was during the time of Iacocca and his slogan of “Buy America” - even though they weren’t buying American in their own plants. The Korean workers who came over to install the robotics put their own workers to shame. They hardly took a break…worked at least 10 hours a day (2 hours after the Chryco workers left for the day…very detailed minded.

They are eager fully capable of eating our lunch if we let them. The trip was a real eye opener. Managers and workers here should get to see these people and others abroad for themselves and take back their experiences to their workmates. Send a couple of each. It would be the best 10 grand they ever spent.

Oh never mind. It was just a thought on how bad we are and how great others are.

I worked in the steel industry, and watched it destroy itself. The overseas manufacturers were only too happy to pick up where our steel makers left off. I won’t give you the myriad reasons I witnessed, but the list is large. Mostly it was the inability to work together and see things as the other side did.

I can tell you from personal experience . . . you can’t keep up that pace forever without physical and mental consequences

It happened to me and lots of other guys I know

Sure, every once in awhile, but it can’t be sustained without consequences

I’m pretty sure somebody is going to to say I’m wrong . . . but I can only report what happened to myself and others I’ve known

1 Like

No I was just musing on all the blood that we have shed around the world for people that seemingly are smarter and work harder than we do.