Car suddenly shuts off

Car is a 2004 chevy classic with the 2.2l ecotec… About 276k on the clock.

I clocked out of work earlier and was rolling through the line in the parking lot waiting my turn to get out. While I was stopped for a brief moment, suddenly and without warning or any other issues, the engine cuts clean off as if I turned the key off. It didn’t bog down first, the RPM just dropped cleanly and it died. I’m assuming it’s not a fuel delivery issue based on that, I’m also assuming it’s cam/crank sensor related. That’s why I come to you guys though because I know it’s bad to assume lol.

This isn’t the first time this happened. It happened a few months ago during the summer in the same exact parking lot right as I was leaving work. The first time I chalked it up to a fluke because it turned right back on and ran without issue. Same thing this time around. Drove it home no problem.

No check engine light, no codes, except for a stored bank 1 sensor 1 code which I’ve had for a while now. I’ve also got a very intermittent p0172 that comes and goes. Don’t have it now and it’s been at least a month since I saw that code pending.

How do I go about this?

When someone came to the shop with that symptom, the first thing I suspected was a bad crank sensor

The problem is, to test for a bad crank sensor it has to fail at that time.

So, all you can do is replace it and see if that fixes the stalling.

Because one these times, the engine is going to shut off and not restart.

Tester

Many possibilities, but my guess is a faulty ignition switch. Try driving using only the single key, nothing attached or dangling. Eventually you won’t be able to restart the engine. That seems bad, but it is actually good b/c your shop should be able to figure out the cause.

It’s possible sometimes for a diy’er to determine if the cause is spark or fuel, but the problem would have to be manifesting at the time.

2 Likes

That was exactly my conditions. Replaced a lot of stuff and with two shops, never did solve the problem. You might get lucky with rhe crank sensor. Lots of other stuff to try but would be nice to see the fuel pressure and if you lost spark when it happens.

IIRC there was a spate of bad ignition switches on some GM cars some years ago. Yours might be part of a recall or other special GM program; your VIN will determine that. Even if not, that switch could be bad.

1 Like
MAKE (MFR) MODEL YEAR(s)
BUICK (GM) LaCrosse 2005-2009
BUICK (GM) Lucerne 2006-2011
CADILLAC (GM) CTS 2003-2014
CADILLAC (GM) DeVille 2000-2005
CADILLAC (GM) DTS 2006-2011
CADILLAC (GM) SRX 2004-2006
CHEVROLET (GM) Camaro 2010-2014
CHEVROLET (GM) Cobalt 2005-2010
CHEVROLET (GM) HHR 2006-2011
CHEVROLET (GM) Impala 2000-2014
CHEVROLET (GM) Malibu 1997-2005
CHEVROLET (GM) Monte Carlo 2000-2007
DAEWOO (GM) G2X 2006-2007
OLDSMOBILE (GM) Alero 1999-2004
OLDSMOBILE (GM) Intrigue 1998-2002
OPEL/VAUXHALL (GM) GT 2006-2007
OPEL(GM) GT 2008-2010
PONTIAC (GM) G5 2007-2010
PONTIAC (GM) Grand Am 1999-2005
PONTIAC (GM) Grand Prix 2004-2008
PONTIAC (GM) Solstice 2006-2010
SATURN (GM) Ion 2003-2007
SATURN (GM) Sky 2006-2010

Great info here guys. I think I’ll replace the crank sensor as suggested and hopefully it solves it. Seems pretty cheap. There a relearn procedure?

As for the ignition switch, I think it has actually been replaced once before so It shouldn’t be the original. I tried jiggling the key around a little bit while it was running to see if I could get something interesting to happen but nothing.

2 Likes

That makes sense. No relearn needed.

On my Pontiac the sensor had to be synced to the pcm with a tech 2. So it was not a diy job. Might want to check if chev is the same.

3 Likes