Car starters

My wife has a carstarter in her 2004 Volks Jetta which is never used. Would it be difficult to switch it to a 1999 toyota 4runner?

Yes, I suspect it might be VERY difficult. These units are wired into the cars electrical harness with MANY connections…You would need to contact the devices manufacturer to see if it can be interchanged with Toyota vehicles. You would certainly need the original installation instructions…

the starter didn’t come with the car, it was put in after she had it, before we were an item. does this change things?

the starter didn’t come with the car, it was put in after she had it, before we were an item. does this change things?

As mentioned, if you have the original installation instructions. Try to google the original manufacturer of the remote starter, and see if they have a PDF of the instructions.

Start Over With Starter

I would leave the starter in the Jetta. Get a new one and install it in the 4runner or have one installed. A little extra expense could save headaches in two cars.

The possibilities for disaster with aftermarket remote starters are enormous. If your wife’s Jetta does not have any problems as a result of the installation I’d say you’re both lucky and leave it at that. I would not attempt to swap the starter from one vehicle to another.

You could end up with two vehicles that don’t run.