Car Overheating -- troubleshooting cooling fan

Click on my name and PM me with your email address and I will send you copies of the circuit diagrams, location charts and troubleshooting procedures from the factory service manual. I would post them here but I am having problem s communicating with this board. I have shrunk the files and they still will not upload.

That didn’t work, lets try this

OK I have this figured out but I’m going to have to reshoot the pictures tomorrow. I had the camera set for low res to save space, but it was too low for this.

Are those pictures from the service manual?

Yes, I emailed you high res pictures of those pages.

Well, thanks to Keith I have the troubleshooting pages to the condenser fan.

I followed Page 20-10 up testing the yellow/white wire on the condenser relay.

Well, there’s voltage in the yellow/white wire from the relay. The troubleshooting book says there’s an open in the green wire back to the AC Diode somewhere, or maybe the AC Diode is fried?(Fingers crossed) I’ll probably check the diode before I go looking in the harness.

I always wondered why the car was missing the fender skirts when I bought it, now I suppose I know why, they were tracking down this wiring problem.

also: I disconnected that yellow piece that separates the wires and I couldn’t get a reading at all. I guess that wire separator keeps the ground from grounding the other wires it shouldn’t?

I cleaned it back(Had tons of electrical grease inside it) and then I got the readings I just posted.

FYI, I believe your Honda was recalled for a wiring problem in this area. I know mine (97) was.

yea, I’m on the owner-link through the Honda site and according to Honda the problem in the wiring harness has been fixed. The wiring harness is wrapped in plastic, which looks kind of like the plastic people use to for gutter run-off that attaches to the gutter spout.

Apparently, they didn’t do a good enough job, if it’s broken again.I think I’ll Google ac wiring harness and see where it’s most commonly wearing through. There’s a slot up in the front of the car behind my main lights where the harness is routed and it felt very snug in there. Plastic covering or not, I could see it wearing through there

I was recently reading somewhere someone said condenser fan on their car doesn’t come on until the high pressure side reaches a certain capacity. I recently repaired an A/C leak on the high pressure side(at the o-ring) and the freon is at about 14 oz of the recommended 24 oz.

Should the condenser fan still come on?

also, I recently got a cheap, plastic pressure gauge and my low side is measuring 56 PSI. It’s a cheap gauge and the gauge is on the yellow ‘alert’ side. Is this accurate?

I don’t know see how it could be high, because we drained all the freon when we opened the system.

Are you reading the gauge with the a/c running? This is the ONLY way to determine if the system has enough freon.

I think at this point you really need to have a pro look at it.

You need to get a full set of gauges if you plan on recharging the system yourself. As far as the compressor fan goes, if the high side had to be at some point, then the troubleshooting chart should have included that as a check.

Well, the guys at the Honda dealership said it called for 24oz of Freon. I just added 8 oz to the already 14 oz(That 14oz included a .5oz of Pag oil for good measure)

I think I ruled out all other possibilities, it’s definitely an open somewhere along that AC wiring harness. I don’t know how to go about finding it though, so maybe I’ll just take it into the electric shop and let them at it. I can tell them all the things I ruled out and they’ll probably find it on the wiring harness in like 5 minutes.

I think it would be easiest to snag a used wiring harness of a car from the junkyard.

Is there a connector at the diode under the kick panel at the diode or is it tucked away in the body up behind the fender skirts?

Buy a 20amp toggle switch and direct wire the cooling fans to it. Mount in in your dash "Fans-On/Off.
Total cost $6. Problem solved…

@Caddyman

No need. Case-closed!

I opened up the fender skirt on the driver’s side and it took me all of 2 seconds to spot the open in the ground(green wire). I spliced the wire back to where was still wire, threaded in some 12 gauge wire on both sides and wrapped it in copious amounts of electrical tape, then I wrapped the bundle of wires in electrical tape as they lost the insulation around the harness. Condenser fan came right on with A/C!!!

How did it happen? The last owner had been driving around for who-knows-how-long with both fender skirts off…I shook the fender for a good 4 minutes while a 1lb of dirt fell out…Anyway, thanks for all your guys help. My cars almost in tip-top shape, now I just need to change the timing belt and my car will be set-like-a-jet for another 2-3 years.