Car Damage what are you thinking cost wise?

I can go out and photograph all the license plates I want, right? Are there any reports of identity theft linked to photos of license plates? I’ve heard this advice for quite a while, just wonder if there’s a real problem or not.

Myth. It’s fairly difficult for random citizens to get hold of identifying information off of a plate unless it’s part of a crime prosecution.

i.e., a guy sideswipes you and takes off, you get his plate, yeah, you’ll find out his name because the prosecutor/cops will tell you during the leadup to charges.

Wander into the cop shop with a random license plate number and ask them to look it up? Not so much, especially these days when every plate lookup is logged and the cop needs to have a reason for looking it up or he could get in trouble.

Myth. It's fairly difficult for random citizens to get hold of identifying information off of a plate unless it's part of a crime prosecution.

In NH you go to the DMV and pay $20…you get their name and address…no questions asked.

Name and address does not get you identity theft level of information.

The old fear on car forums used to be that they’d get your social security number and drain your bank account, or they’d get your VIN, take it to a dealership, and get a key made so they could steal your car.

I’ve noticed many people selling cars on craigslist also blank out their license plates

Can’t blame them

Can’t be too careful

For example . . . when I’m on the phone with a business, and they want to verify my identity, they sometimes ask for my social security number.

My response is “No. Ask me something else.”

It’s actually illegal to ask fro someone’s social security number, unless it’s medical treatment or the transaction will be subject to income or other taxes.

When someone asks me I decline by saying only my doctor and the government get it. I once opened a small bank account and the clerk insisted she needed my social security #. I told her to get the manager, who promptly chewed her out for asking me.

I think it maybe applies in certain circumstances along with other information. Things have tightened up some now but I got name and address info on a car once with no problem. If you said something like I’m a 25 year old female and live alone or am planning a trip next week for a month, etc. etc., I’d be a little concerned about having that information tied to a plate number and pretty much out there forever.

To combat identity theft, I really think we are going to have some new regulations (yes I do agree regulations can be a good thing) to insist on physical verifications of identity for some things. You want a Visa card, go to a local bank as part of the process. 30 years ago, SS numbers were plastered everywhere (if you remember boot camp everyones SSN was posted) and we never had a problem. The incentive just has to be taken away.

I answered some questions wrong on line for social security and got locked out after three attempts. In order to get it unlocked I have to go to a local office with my passport to prove who I am. I haven’t done it yet but I don’t mind. Its a small price to pay for this non-sense.