Captive rotors

is there any manufacturing car builder today.that still use captive brake rotors.

I’d hope not. I wouldn’t buy one.

The Chevy Colorado used captive brake rotors. Do they still build that, or did they recently stop?

What’s a captive rotor?

A rotor that’s installed behind the hub instead of in front of it.

@dripper and @shadowfax - thanks, sounds like one of those ‘Why would anybody do that?!?’ kind of designs…

Is that why it felt like the Colorado I test drove had brakes as bad as the Chevelle I used to own(4 drums brakes)?

When I need pads and rotors replaced on my car, I can get good quality parts at NAPA and do the job at home in about an hour, leisurely, with sips of beer here and there. With captive rotors, this turns into an ordeal that I don’t care to deal with or pay for.

@bscar2 No - captive rotors function pretty much the same as normal rotors - it’s just that their position is slightly different.

@doubleclutch - several of the captive-rotor-saddled cars can be converted to standard rotors. A lot of people have done that when they find out what a pain it is to change them.

When the hub has serviceable bearings it seems logical to make a 2 piece hub/rotor assembly. A dead blow hammer will separate the assembly in a few quick blows. What is so difficult about them?

With a Honda, you need to remove the steering knuckle and use a press to separate the hub/rotor assembly.

There was a portable brake lathe for those Honda rotors, keith. I have seen a few but thought they were no longer in production. If that is what the OP was referring to I can understand the concern. It would be a nightmare for a DIYer.

One’s in the shop today. 1998 Chevy k2500 4x4. Gotta take the hub off to change the rotor.