Can you mount a Longitudinal engine transversally?

This simply isn’t ture.

To do what you want will require a complete rebuild of the body, cutting everything front to back to create a driveshaft tunnel, then then entire rear axle area to put in a rear axle and springs, the mind boggles at the work that will be needed.

1 Like

And then there’s the hidden stuff. This project could cost way more then a brand new car.

When you get older you’ll know. This is a financially foolish project. I guarantee that I make a lot more money then you and I’d never touch it. I have far too many more valuable things to spend my money on.

This Concorde is just a junker that I have a silly interest in seeing that it becomes a sleeper. And I’d beg to differ, just because it’s something I want to do doesn’t mean it’s financially foolish, especially when I have the money to back it up. I have 6 other cars in my garage that are worth far more than this Concorde, one of which is a BMW M3. I just got into cars a little over a year ago. For a year I’ve just been saving and buying cars, now I’m getting into tinkering with them. This will be my first project. I don’t know much about them but I’m learning and have the resources to do whatever crazy thing I can think of. While I am young, I’m determined. So there, if you want to try and have a coc*y tone about making more money, ~I~ guarantee I make more money. Matthew 16:23.

In the interests of cooling things down a bit…

I’m a “it’s your thing” kind of guy. If you have the money, do whatever you like.

I think what everybody is trying to tell you, though…is this kind of project will be nowhere near cheap or easy. And you’ll be pouring money into a vehicle that will neither retain nor increase its value. Most people will be harmed financially by doing that sort of thing, and sometimes you don’t realize how deep a hole you’re digging until you’re in it.

Again, you do what you like. Just go into it with your eyes wide open. Good luck.

Uh YES!

Lancia Thema, transverse FWD, Ferrari V8, manual trans

Thank you. I will. I will update you guys on what happens, my friends took my car to the shop a few days ago to complete this job. I’m going today to pick it up at around 3:30, they haven’t told me what they’ve done to it, they just said, “Give it to us and we will transform it into a beast.” They gave me hints along the way. I figured out that it was a turbo and a V8. I just came on here to figure out if what they were trying to do was possible. I will send pictures of the car and the mods that they have done to my grandpas Concorde.

One problem is the front tires can’t handle more than about 350 hp before they go up in smoke. The north-south engine configuration begs you to go like-for-like. Don’t even consider a transverse engine layout. It will be more trouble than keeping it north-south.

All the most powerful north-south V8 or turbo V6 FWD-based powerful cars have AWD. The Audi S6 and S8’s come to mind. Both have north-south engine placements, manual transmissions as options. The S6 had a twin-turbo V8 from the factory and the S8 a V8 and a V10. Early 2000 cars would be the best candidates.

The powertrains from either make lots of power and can make much more. If you can get the fabrication done to adapt the entire rear suspension cradle from either car and custom driveshafts from the front to the Concord front knuckles, you might be able to get it into the car without too much modification. The manual trans makes it more reasonable to control with an aftermarket ECU from Haltech. Haltech can supply plug-in bits to create an instrument panel so all the gauges would work including speedometer.

In 3 days? I think they are pulling your leg. Maybe they cut the coil springs and painted flames on the front fenders.

4 Likes

In the other thread someone brought up the Focus V8 conversion, but with AWD available on the same platform in other markets the tunnel for the driveshaft was already there, Used everything from a crate 302 up to the then current mustang cobra V8…
https://kugelkomponents.com/focus-v-8/

A former co-worker installed a Chrysler 440 in a 1986 Dodge Daytona, RWD and full roll cage. I saw the car in the mid 1990’s when it was assembled but not completed. He was in the process of titling the car as “homebuilt” to get an emission exemption. From what I understand the project took 12 years of different phases and improvements.

1 Like

Your car is a distant cousin of the current Charger/Challenger/300. They are RWD or AWD and can be equipped with a manual transmission and a V8. So it could probably be done with a donor car and lots of work. I googled Dodge Intrepid RWD swap and got several results, so it has been done before.

… which would compromise the unitized body’s original designed-in passenger protection/crash resistance. Ergo, not something that would be safe, and that many/most reputable body shops would refuse to do.

Knew a guy that put a v8 in an mgb, he had to beef up the suspension.

What did he do about the brakes?

I wonder how much that cost. I would guess that it must have been tens of thousands of $$.

Veeeeeeerrrrrry distant. The 300/Challenger/Charger on the RWD/AWD LX platform are much more related to Mercedes E class than it is to the prior Chrysler LH FWD platform.

Chrysler LX platform - Dodge Wiki (dodge-wiki.com)

2 Likes

Pull the back seat and put a 426 hemi in. You’ll need a rear axle and differential, but that’s the cost of having a sleeper. You should also tub the rear wheel wells and put wide tires in to hook up better. Don’t need that trunk anyway. Put in a floor pan under the hood and make it the trunk!

The factory did that with the Rover 3.5 liter V8. Called it the MGB-GT.

That is the engine that they bought the design and tooling from Buick back in the mid 60s.

Yes, Rover used that little aluminum V-8 for several years.