Can you mount a Longitudinal engine transversally?

MG back in the early '70s actually made a V6 MGB, the MGC and a V8 MGB and a V8 MGB the MGB GT V8.
They were both incredibly awful cars that sacrificed the quick handling and sporty ride of the MGB for the illusionary benefit of more power. More power I suppose but it felt like driving a delivery truck.

Pretty sure it was a straight 6, not a V6.

Used to drive a 1968 mgb-gt, hatchback, it was only 6 cylander. Edit was an mgc-gt

Are you referring to the six-cylinder MG?
I really doubt if a straight six would have fit under its bonnet.

Years ago I bought a MGB GT at auction, 1.8 L 4 cylinder engine. The MGC had a inline 6.

1 Like

Hey guys… ummmm, I’m just here to let you know that my friend is in the hospital now. He crashed the Concorde before I was able to pick it up. He’s okay, he’s just broke his leg and some scratches. As for the Concorde… :pensive: Asking for prayers for my friend for a good recovery

1 Like

Thanks for you’re support

Sorry, *your

Yep:
The MGC was a 2,912 cc, straight-six version of the MGB sold from 1967 and produced until August 1969[24] with some sales running on into 1970. The car was given the model code ADO52. It was intended as a replacement for the Austin-Healey 3000 Mk. III which would have been ADO51 but in that form never got beyond the design proposal stage. The first engine to be considered was an Australian-designed six-cylinder version of the BMC B-Series but the production versions used a new seven-main-bearing development of the Morris Engines designed C-Series that was also to be used for the new Austin 3-litre four-door saloon. In the twin SU carburettor form used in the MGC the engine produced 145 bhp (108 kW) at 5,250 rpm.[25] The body shell needed considerable revisions around the engine bay and to the floor pan, but externally the only differences were a distinctive bonnet bulge to accommodate the relocated radiator and a teardrop for carburettor clearance. It had different brakes from the MGB, 15 inch wheels with Pirelli Cinturato 165HR15 tyres (CA67).[26] a lower geared rack and pinion and special torsion bar suspension with telescopic dampers. Like the MGB, it was available as a coupé (GT) and roadster. An overdrive gearbox or three-speed automatic gearbox were available as options. The car was capable of 120 mph (193 km/h) and a 0–60 mph time of 10.0 seconds.[25]

The heavy engine (209 lb heavier than the 1,798 cc MGB engine) and new suspension changed the vehicle’s handling, and it received a mixed response in the automotive press. It later transpired that the BMC press department had set the tyre pressures of the cars in the launch fleet incorrectly (to the same values as the standard MGB) and that even the correct pressures were insufficient to get the best handling from the car. Poor reviews also stemmed from the fact that, despite BMC’s marketing, the MGC was not a direct replacement for the Austin-Healey 3000 and neither was it a higher-performance MGB.[ citation needed ]

The MGC was cancelled in 1969 after less than two years of production.

1 Like

Without pictures it didn’t happen (the Concorde mods, that is).

I don’t think any of this happened. We did not adhere to the do not feed the troll signs.

6 Likes

+1
I think that this whole thing has been a fevered fantasy.

1 Like

Corrected my post, it was an MGC-GT with the 6, 1968

1 Like

I read about a guy who installed a V8 on his motorcycle. I wondered where he put his legs.

You can buy a Boss Hoss V8 motorcycle for $33,000.

There are a number of companies building V8 bikes. One, the Boss Hoss, used Chevy small and big block V8s.

https://www.vanquishv8.com/boss-hoss-motorcycles/

Kinda dumb, IMHO.

In all seriousness, it would be light years cheaper and far less of a headache to just dump the Concorde, buy a Fox body Mustang, and then have at it.

Concorde with an adapted V-8 converted to a manual all boils down to how many shopping carts full of cash and how many years of aggravation are you willing to invest. Even if you got the V-8 in and worked the transmission/drive axles out you would likely be facing a nightmare called excessive torque steer.

1 Like

Elon Jack Potter, aka “The Michigan Madman” had been building transverse engine V-8 drag bikes long ago. Love the Whizzer gas tank!

E.J. riding on Widowmaker.

3 Likes

There were at least 7 versions of a V8 motorcycle that he built, Not counting the one with a jet engine that he sold to Evil Knievel (which sounds like a good idea ;:wink:

I would say Mr. Potter had a death wish with Blood Mary. The frame is a 1940s Knucklehead or Sidevalve frame and the front fork is a stock Harley springer. No issues with either of those as both are solid unless the frame is a 1940 with the 28 degree neck angle.

The drive for the rear wheel and brake drum are on the side. When the brake pedal is used aggressively the rear of the bike has a strong tendency to go to the right. A lot.
I note the front forks still have the stock springer drum brake. Even when new that front brake did not offer much in the line of stopping.Surprised he did not convert to a disc on that.

1 Like