Can i safely disable my ABS

You argue that you are overconfident?
Well, I’m glad to see that you concur with my theory.

;-))

Sometimes, it’s like shooting fish in a barrel!

Well, of course you could disable it and drive without probably getting in an accident, lots of cars driven lots of years did that. But (unless your Jeep’s ABS is defective), you’re less likely to get in an accident with functioning ABS. Not only can it cycle much quicker than you (say it’s ONLY 10 cycles per second - you can’t do that), it cycles each wheel independently, which you cannot do, ever.

MikeiNH That was “by” 5 years. Ive about 35yrs on ice and an ICE ROAD TRUCKER. Put that in ur pipe n smoke it

The Jeep has had ABS for 16 years so I just don’t understand your need to disable it or worry about it now.

Why not devote the time to things like inspecting the brakes, suspension components, changing the trans fluid, and things like that.
A failed ball joint will kill you much quicker than the ABS.

I was just curious about how to disable the abs…i wasnt trying to start a fire. Ive inspected everything…inside and out…

I suppose it could have been a worse question. One guy on a CX-7 forum asked how to disable his whole TCS system

Back in the day there were no radial tires, abs or awd

I have never felt my ABS activate, perhaps it has something to do with living in Tucson.I do know that having ABS won’t save me on ice, nothing will. Ice is a surface that will make a fool out of the best driver in the best equipped car

Weird. I’ve got a 98 Grand Cherokee, and my ABS just makes the pedal pulse. I wonder if they redesigned it in those two years, or if there’s something screwy with yours. If mine behaved like that, I’d disable it too.

Good common sense will save you on ice. Ice isnt as bad a some may think. The colder the better

Back when I was 10 feet tall and bullet proof I drove a 6x6 as far up Mt Fuji as a vehicle can go. It was very cold and dark and there was no heater in the truck. The rear had a dozen or so equally cold ten footers. As tough as it was zig-zagging up that mountainside going down was even more fun. We crossed gullies so wide that the tandems were often 4 feet off the ground. We all base our opinions on our past experiences and that was my most spectacular. It won’t make it to Ice Road Trucker,though. I plan on avoiding the need to panic stop on ice and in return for my planning I intend to have brakes that will lock up all four wheels whenever I choose.

Theres one for the grand kids…

It would make sense if they redesigned it, because it is very disconcerting. I acquired mine a few years back in an estate proceeding, and had my mechanic go over it stem to stern when I put it on the road, because it had been sitting for quite a while. Spent about $3000, including extensive brake work. The way I drive, I’ve only had the ABS activate in real driving twice in three years. I once took it to an empty parking lot to practice slamming on the brakes, to try to acclimate myself to this, but I still don’t like it one bit. Actually, my Jeep is mostly a weekend car; because it is hard on gas (by my standards) I still use my 93 Festiva as my daily driver.

It depends on the system too. The ABS on my '92 Caprice was horrible. I should have disabled it. I’m confident that I could do better than the computer on that vehicle. My 1994 LHS has much improved ABS, but doesn’t do so well on sheet ice. In fact, most ABS systems that I’ve used seem to get a little confused on ice in my experience. My latest car, a 2006 300C has stability/traction control plus ABS. It’s amazing how well it works, though I sometimes turn it partially off, as it’s no fun if you can’t slide it a little or break the tires free when you’re in the mood to do so :slight_smile: Driving through a howling blizzard, it will likely remain on.

In most circumstances aside from pure ice though, ABS is pretty cool. It allows for some control as well as shortening stopping distances, and the average driver doesn’t have the skill to modulate the brakes effectively while doing a panic maneuver.

How about trying a test before you pull the plug on this system: Find a large (empty) parking lot or empty slippery road. Put down a cone or decide on a marker and try to stop in the shortest distance you can with ABS after accelerating to perhaps 40 MPH. Now pull the ABS fuse and try the same. Repeat a couple of times to verify that it isn’t a fluke. You may be surprised at just how well the ABS does, even if it feels like crap while it’s doing it.

Back in the day, people didn’t live in Alaska, except a very few, very hardy people, who were fairly nomadic. Chances are, a good portion of them probably moved farther south during the winter.

There also weren’t Jeep Cherokees back then, so you’re spoiled in comparison to them.
They had to walk, or boat to anywhere they wanted to get to.

BC.

I agree…ABS systems are improving and yours may be worse, but…“oblivion” has a great idea. Test it for yourself. But, remember that there is a huge difference between reacting in a controlled environment and one that comes upon you unexpectedly. I’d be interested though in your results.

Good common sense will save you on ice. Ice isnt as bad a some may think. The colder the better
There are different types of ice…the worse is the unexpected black ice near freezing with a water layer on top. No common sense here, just reaction and hope you practiced enough to develope the skills. The sports world is filled with unsuccessful coaches who think all you have to do is want to do the right thing under stress. It’s training and more training so correct reaction takes over…no time for thinking.

The accident may be entirely someone else’s fault but if an investigator, adjuster, or lawyer/law enforcement determines that a safety feature has been disabled then it will be your fault no matter what.

That’s not the way the law works. (Well, it’s not the way the law’s supposed to work.)

You’re only supposed to be civilly liable for damages “proximately caused” by negligence, malice, indifference, etc. Thus, for disabling the ABS to be culpable, the following would have to happen:

1. You’d have to be in an accident.
  2. The accident would have to be your fault.
  3. The accident would have to harm another party.
  4. The harm would have to be proximately caused (or at least exacerbated) by the ABS disable (“but for the disabling of the ABS…”).

A perfect example of this was (years ago) when my uncle fell asleep after a date, crossed the center line, and had a head-on with a drunk driver. Despite the fact the other driver was drunk, he was not civilly liable, because the proximate cause of the accident was not driving drunk, but my uncle’s falling asleep and violating the right-of-way of the drunk driver. (Granted, a sober driver might have been able to avoid an accident, but that’s not the issue here.)

Now, has society “progressed” to the point that, today, simply being drunk would be sufficiently prejudicial as to trump right-of-way law? Who knows.

I remember reading/hearing once that if you stomp the pedal a couple of times the ABS will shut itself off 'til the next time brakes are applied.

ABS is useless on ice