Can I remotely start Expedition using a cable run from our bedroom?

This is from the installation instructions for the Astra kit;

4. Determine if vehicle is equipped with a factory theft deterrent system and obtain proper bypass module if required.

I have installed dozens of OEM kits and i’ve seen sloppy aftermarket kits on vehicles, I would avoid the aftermarket kits.

With the aftermarket kits some will place an extra ignition key under the instument panel taped to a remote imobilizer antenna to by-pass the security feature so the vehicle will start. Now if I see a label on the window like “Viper security” and “warning remote start” I know that there is a key in the vehicle. Security?

"I would not connect anything incorrectly - unless the product directions were incorrect

Judging by the staggering lack of automotive knowledge and common sense in general over the past few years, I’m sort of surprised that you can gas up your car without spilling too much. I think you’d be much better off getting an OEM remote starter (they were a dealer installed option) for your car, and letting the dealer or a competent independent mechanic install it. Penny-wise and pound-foolish, you know.

If shopping the aftermarket for remote start kits, stick with someone who can provide tech support.
The Ford labeled kits are made by Code Systems and that could guide you into an acceptable aftermarket in a catalog like Crutchfield.

Robert, you do write off your mileage on your income taxes, don’t you? You can write off $0.565 fore each mile driven.

I’d either get a Ford unit or sell this Expedition and get another one. You can get the Sport model with the EcoBoost engine, or an F-150 with the EcoBoost for less $$.

I’d imagine he’d be posting about what to do with a cooked turbo if he got an Ecoboost motor.

@bscar2

He’d looking for a way to pre-heat those turbos. You know to get them up to operating temp before blasting down the highway at triple digit speeds whilst rolling on tires inflated to 88 psi, in order to save on fuel.

"Judging by the staggering lack of automotive knowledge and common sense in general over the past few years, I'm sort of surprised that you can gas up your car without spilling too much. I think you'd be much better off getting an OEM remote starter (they were a dealer installed option) for your car, and letting the dealer or a competent independent mechanic install it. Penny-wise and pound-foolish, you know."
Never spilled a drop. That would not be GREEN! I have designed and built very complicated systems. But I do not know how these remote starters work and I can't afford to theorize or experiment.

As a perfectionist, I’d do a better, cleaner, neater job than an installer because I can take the time they can’t.
If after-market systems work, why not?
I can’t justify hundred$ for Ford’s system.

With the aftermarket kits some will place an extra ignition key under the instument panel taped to a remote imobilizer antenna to by-pass the security feature so the vehicle will start. Now if I see a label on the window like "Viper security" and "warning remote start" I know that there is a key in the vehicle. Security?
Wow! I don't like that at all.

I keep the extra key wrapped in aluminum foil so it cannot be detected and unlock the vehicle.
(Making a 4 a.m. delivery during a blizzard, I slipped at the hospital’s emergency department entrance and my key landed an inch from the storm sewer grate. Would have been horrible - their maintenence people could not even get to the hospital.)

@fodaddy
a reverse turbo timer?

“I slipped at the hospital’s emergency department entrance and my key landed an inch from the storm sewer grate.”

I had a similar incident. My daughter and I were moving her futon into her dorm. She had the car keys in her hand as we moved the futon off the elevator. She dropped the keys and they slid between the elevator and the door frame - fell all the way to the bottom of the shaft. This could have been avoided if she had put the keys in her pocket. I assume that you always put your keys in your pocket before moving your cargo, but maybe not.

@bscar2

I suspect he’d be looking for a way to mount a pair of 1500 watt hairdryers to the intercooler as well.

"I suspect he'd be looking for a way to mount a pair of 1500 watt hairdryers to the intercooler as well."
Great idea! Never thought of that! But I have a plethor.a waterproof outdoor floodlight lamps. Will use them.

Remote starters also have the benefit of monitoring engine oil pressure and will shut off the engine if a problem occurs. They will also shut off the engine after a certain amount of time if the ignition isn’t turned on, so there’s no harm if you forget you started your car or inadvertently triggered it.

"Remote starters also have the benefit of monitoring engine oil pressure and will shut off the engine if a problem occurs. They will also shut off the engine after a certain amount of time if the ignition isn't turned on, so there's no harm if you forget you started your car or inadvertently triggered it."
Interesting! Did not know they can be that sophisticated. The engine would run only a few minutes before I could depart. So I would set a timer to the shortest interval.

If the vehicle is in your garage, it shouldn’t be very cold. Let it run for 5 seconds and go!!

@fodaddy
Silly, you want COLD air for the intercooler. He’d need atleast a 50,000 BTU air conditioner.

@bascar2

Remember this is Robert Gift we’re talking about.

How to remote start an expedition from the bedroom:

1- Kick wife out of bed.
2 - Hand her the keys and tell her to wear a coat.

Outcome 1: she does it. Problem solved.
Outcome 2: she does not and smothers you with a pillow and whether you can start anything any time soon quickly becomes a non-issue.

That’s how my wife’s car has remote start.
My 08 Expedition has a push button remote start.
Her 06 Escape hybrid has a push-HUBBY remote start.

‘‘Go start my car too.’’

Lol - yeah, that’s how it works in my house as well, less remote start.
If I actually was stupid enough to even suggest option two to her, I would not be typing that^.