Can ANYONE Identify this?

Pictures Here…

http://s74…aunted420/

I came across an older looking dashboard display at a garage sale, but can’t find any information about it. Its labeled as an “Experimental Sample” and is made by DELPHI. The serial and part number are mostly illegible, as is the date. It also has a transmission temperature gauge on it, so I’m looking for some information about it. Anything you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Delphi made parts primarily for GM. At one point it was part of GM, then sold off by GM in a reorganization move. So, it is likely for a GM product and perhaps was a prototype and not a production unit.

Take an image of it and host it on Image Shack or whatever and post it. From the description, as limited as it is, given the trans temp gauge, I’d say a dedicated police application or a truck.

Based on the way it’s laid out, probably made to fit in a small space. Nothing to do with police. Police officers do not care what their transmission temperature is. This is or was intended to be part of a military vehicle.

Check the link at the top of the post. He posted pictures at photobucket.

To me, it looks like the dash board of a Cadillac Escalade. They had transmission temp gauges and it is a common swap to put in a Suburban just to get the gauge. Both trucks are built on the same chassis, and the dash units were interchangeable for model years before 2002. Certain body panels as well.

Things you learn from ‘Pimp My Ride’…

It’s obviously for a truck or SUV. Many trucks have trans temp gauges. I doubt very much it was specifically for a military vehicle. It probably is for a GM truck, and I’d guess for a gas or Diesel V8 based on the redline on the tachometer. You might wander around a junkyard and compare it to instrument clusters in wrecked vehicles, or if you can, compare the bottom connector to other GM products.

It may not even work, apparently being a sample, or may be calibrated differently or have a different electrical pinout than a ‘normal’ instrument cluster.

I agree. I’m thinking it went to a GMC Denali it looks a little “fancy” for a Silverado. The redline is too high for a diesel, but it’s right for a 6.0L or 6.2L V8. So chances are the cluster was meant for a Denali or an Escalade.

Yeah, because GM doesn’t make military vehicles. Try writing down “I doubt” in your blue exam book in cooledge and see how far that gets you.

Perhaps you are familiar with the HMMV? And GM’s involvement in the production of such?

Again, “I doubt” means “I don’t know your friend, Jack.”

What a selling point for a motor vehicle: Look, we’ve stacked the dials on top of each other!

Military.

That was an interesting rant. However, it doesn’t mean much. It’s a LOT more likely that it’s for a consumer-grade vehicle. I didn’t say it was impossible that it was produced for a military vehicle, but have you heard of Occam’s razor? Plus, the colors, styling, and frivolous “message center” on the left would be a bit out of place in a military vehicle. I work for an auto supplier and I get to see many, many interesting vehicles, often in the prototype stage. I’d bet folding money that it is NOT intended for a military vehicle of any kind.

Incidentally, “police officers do not care what their transmission temperature is” may be true, but it doesn’t stop every police car I’ve owned (3) from having a very nice complement of gauges. The one thing that would make me think it is NOT from a police car is that it is missing the “certified calibration” that every cop car I’ve owned has had on the speedometer.

Ever owned or seen a civilian car with overlapping dials? Name one.

“Frivolous” message center? Dude, that’s the check engine light, tells you what’s wrong. Hummers have them.

Yes, very familiar with the Earl of Ockham. Made to fit a confined space, overlapping dials (i.e. not looking good to potential customers): military.

Also the voltmeter tops out at 19 volts, so you’ve got a purposely small instrument cluster for a vehicle with a big battery. Occam again?

It is NOT a military vehicle, ZombieWoof. You can stop now.

I found it. 2002 Cadillac Escalade. Look at this sale on ebay. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cadillac-Escalade-AWD-2002-CADILLAC-ESCALADE-AWD-BLACK-RIMS-CLEAN-CARFAX-/180531087247?cmd=ViewItem&pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item2a087dc78f

http://images6.ecarlist.com/photos/1883_626898/640/16.jpg

My 1994 LHS has overlapping dials.

If a vehicle had a “big battery”, assuming you meant a battery with a higher voltage, and not simply a larger battery with more capacity, it would surely be 24, 28, or 48-volts, which ARE standard voltages for some mil-spec electronics. A gauge that topped out at 19V would be pretty useless in this case.

GM was sole producer of the CUCV in the 80’s. However, I don’t think that the dashboard in question came from it. Also doubtful for the HMMWV. It looks too commercial.

Lesson learned. Good job. Still crappy cramped design.