Camshaft actuator solenoid/Variable valve timing control solenoid

I have a 2009 Cobalt with the 2.2L engine. I replaced the camshaft actuator solenoid/variable valve timing solenoid (depending on what you would like to call it) on both the exhaust and intake sides of the camshafts due to a P0014 code. The engine oil is good (recently changed it personally) and I used the right verbosity. I immediately noticed the car started quicker/easier, ran smother than it ever has since I owned it, and idled smoothly. My daughter drove it town and the car made a noise (I can’t describe the barking sound she made for the noise) and the car ran rough and the check engine light came on as they pulled up to the store. She killed it, came outside, and the car ran fine and no more check engine light. The code was again the P0014. I checked the ohms on the exhaust solenoid and discovered it to be 25 ohms. I keep seeing on the interweb this should be between 8-12. Is this correct (the ohms range) and if so, I assume I got a bad solenoid?

These are the possible reasons for a P0014 code…

What are the Possible Causes of the Code P0014?

• Dirty Oil
  • Low engine oil level
  • Faulty Exhaust Camshaft Position Actuator Solenoid
  • Exhaust Camshaft Position Actuator Solenoid harness is open or shorted
  • Exhaust Camshaft Position Actuator Solenoid circuit poor electrical connection
  • Faulty Engine Control Module (ECM)

Notice dirty oil is #1 and bad actuator is #3. The oil passage may have clogged when some crud knocked loose and caused the cams to be in the wrong spot. I don’t know what the resistance of the coil should be but I also don’t think that is your problem. Clear the code and watch for it to come back.

1 Like

I cleared the code. Daughter texted me her CEL (check engine light) came on while she was at college today she turned the key to ACC to charger her phone and the light came on. When she came out later and drove the car, the light was not on. I hooked the scanner up and pulled no codes. Fingers crossed.