Camry 2010 can't move forwards, but will reverse normally

Hi. My car can’t move in driving. However, I can reverse it as usual.
When I try to accelerate in D, there is noise coming from the rear wheels.
Then, I tried to jack each rear wheel and it turns out that the left rear wheel stucks and can’t not spin forwards. But it still can spin backwards.
Anyone here knows what is problem with my car?
Thank you!

Based on the diagnosis by people who have actually seen and touched your car…

You need a rear wheel bearing. If you disagree, take it to an independent repair shop and let them diagnose it.

2 Likes

OP appears to have removed prior comment about wheel bearing. I presume OP is asking for alternative theories for a non-drive free-wheeling wheel that hand-spins freely in the reverse direction, but locks up completely when spinning in the forward direction.

hmmm … that’s a weird symptom. On older cars (from 1960’s &70’s) that would most likely be caused by a problem w/ the parking brake. Parking brakes on older drum brake configurations can be somewhat directional, the braking force is much stronger in the forward direction than the reverse direction. This seems unlikely for a 2010 Camry, but if I had that problem on a car w/drum rear brakes, I’d attempt to remove the brake drum for a look-see. Note: The drum might not come off easily or not at all if the parking brake is stuck on. So if the drum wouldn’t come off, I’d be thinking the parking brake is stuck on all the time, probably something rusted.

1 Like

If you have rear disc brakes (vs drum brakes) then you either have a caliper bolt missing or the caliper bracket bolt missing (fell out), the caliper will allow the one way rotation of the wheel but will hit the wheel the other way and lock it up… So jack it back up and use jack stands the correct way and remove the wheel and see if the caliper is loose to prove or disprove my theory…

BTW, the scraping/rubbing of the caliper against the wheel and make it sound like a wheel bearing if not properly checked out…
NOT saying you don’t have a bad wheel bearing ALSO…
But a wheel bearing would have to move the cage in a position for it to act like a sprag (one way roller clutch) in order to lock up one way and still rotate normally the other way…

EDIT: or the e-brake coming apart like Tester stated below…

1 Like

One of the brake shoes for the parking brake may have become unattached from the backing plate and is now against the drum section of the rotor.

Install parking brake shoe return tension spring

Brake shoes are self energizing brakes.

This means if the brake shoe is resting on the drum surface, the brake will self apply itself

And since the vehicle can’t move forward, I’m gonna say the front facing shoe on the left parking brake is the one that’s loose.

Tester

1 Like

Yes, thank you very much. Because it’s my first car. So, I have not experienced that before. I should do a research before deciding fixing anything on the car.

Thank you. Since my car has a lot of rust underneath and I parked my car with parking brakes for a few days, the problem could be there.

Thank you very much for the information!

I tried to follow your suggestions. However, it’s kind of difficult for me to check them out since I don’t have enough tools here. The wheel is stuck, and I wasn’t able to remove it. So, I decided to take the car to an auto shop for a brake inspection. Hopefully, the problem is there. I will keep you updated after hearing back from the shop.

Anyway, your information has been really helpful for me. Thank you!

1 Like

Thank you very much for detail info. I am dropping off the car at the auto shop. Hopefully they will know the exact problems soon.

Just curious. How did you drop the car off? Drive in reverse or have it towed? I did have to back out of a ramp once when my forward drive went out but still had reverse. But I was just going across the street to wait for the dealer to tow it.

1 Like

You beat me to it, Bing!

1 Like

Hi. I have it towed to the shop. It’s not so far, but I think it’s safer for me and the car to call a towing service :frowning:
Did they charge you an extra fee since your car was unable to drive forward? Probably not if not any wheel locked.

Hello. @Tester @George_San_Jose1 @davesmopar
As @Tester said, the e-brake has problem since I parked my car for 2-3 days after driving in the rain. The shop said they should disconnect the e-brake. Other parts of the brake systems, such as rotos, carliper, … of other wheels, should be also replaced to fix the problem with the e-brake.

Thanks for the update…
The type of e-brake that Tester posted about has the e-brake drum as part of the rotor hat, so I can see you needing the rotors, but you have other issues not related to the e-brakes if you need
brake calipers… Not saying you don’t need the calipers, but I would ask a few more questions…
Like what do they mean by disconnect the e-brake, are they able to repair the e-brake to be able to work correctly again… Are the e-brake cables seized and not releasing??

The parking brake system is separate from the rest of the brake system.

Unless you’ve noticed a problem when using the brakes, or have heard noises when using the brakes, there’s no reason to replace all those components.

Sounds like this shop is up-selling you on services you don’t need.

Tester

1 Like

Someone had a nice vette parked in our loading zone. I had him towed and he dragged the tires all the way up on the flat bed. So maybe gonna need a tire too depending on the care of the tow driver.

1 Like

There’s no way for the folks helping you out here to know if any or all of that work is necessary. You are welcome to post photos of the affected brake system parts, with the shop’s explanation why they should be replaced. It is entirely possible all of those parts must be replaced. One thing tends to lead to another in older vehicles, especially involving brakes . For example I recently decided to repack my truck’s front wheel bearings, common routine maintenance. This requires removing the brake drums. It was immediately obvious once the drums were removed the front brake shoes and both wheel cylinders needed replacement. And a brake spring was broken, so that needed replacement too. After everything on the front was fixed & put back together I decided it was prudent to check the rear brakes too. Shoes & wheel cylinders remain serviceable, but sure enough, found another broken brake spring that needed replacement. Then before putting the rear wheel’s brakes l back together I discovered a slightly obstructed brake line, which I also had to repair. So you may well need all of that work. Brakes are safety critical, so better to error on the side of doing too much than not doing enough.

1 Like