California law would require cars to warn drivers if speeding

More nonsense .

Back it up.

You can continue to believe what you want. When I was a kid the 30 mph speed limit signs had absolute signed on top. That meant the absolute limit, not the starting point. When South Dakota increased all of their highways to 65, the patrol warned that that was the absolute.
Donā€™t go over. Most of the time though there is a margin of 5 plus mph on regular limit signs to allow for differences in speedometers an$other factors. Now in Norway when the sign says 80 km, ya go 82 and your picture is taken and you can settle up at the rental counter. As they say though, a man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still.

I never knew Norway was part of the United States.

By the way, I like their policy!

I can think of places in the middle East that are closer to statehood than Norway for cryin out loudā€¦

When were you a kid - 45 years ago like me? Things have changed for sure, since then.

Why do I believe that most people here regard the posted limit as the minimum speed?..

Does all the traffic whizzing by me to my left when Iā€™m doing 55mph in a 55 zone in the right lane provide any clues?

Well donā€™t use 55 for anything. 55 was a stupid rule sold on the idea of saving gas but totally bogus in my view. It never should have been done. Most people recognize this which is why few people drive 55.

Advice thrown out - inadmissible in the court of common sense.

As long as there are 55mph signs stuck in the ground along interstate 95 and other highways in Connecticut and other states, I will continue to obey them unless instructed otherwise, by enforcers of law.

While 65mph may be the maximum legal speed limit in CT, drivers are still obliged to obey speed limits post locally on signs. You may drive up to 65mph - in zones signed at 65. Some of us need to brush up on the difference between the meanings of statute and posted.

Common sense, if there is still such a thing in the 2010s or 2020s, would tell anyone that.

My law professor said thatā€™for a law to be effective, it needs to be followed by the majority of people. 55 is neither effective or followed by most.

1 Like

I would ask your law prof for their resignation - effective: YESTERDAY.

To be effective, the law must also be enforced by the appropriate authorities.

Not to belabor but the majority of laws are voluntarily followed. Only the exceptions require law enforcement to get involved. Except fir a couple parts of the country.

United States of A- narchy.

Read you loud n clear. :wink:

1 Like

If the majority of drivers are exceeding the speed limit thatā€™s a sign that the limit is too low. Studies often recommend a speed limit that 70% (I think thatā€™s the %, it could different) of traffic observes.

2 Likes

ā€¦ People in this country think the number on the sign is something to exceed. The attitude about speed limits is the same attitude behind shiploads of colonists who in the 1600s desired to live free from the English monarchy. ā€œLive free or dieā€, ā€œDonā€™t tread on meā€

I know what youā€™re referring to. I believe the 85th percentile was/ is still used.

Funny how the highest posted speed limit in the USA is 85 MPH and about 1/2 the country is 70 MPH, but yet even a Prius can go over 100 MPHā€¦ I wonder why that isā€¦ :thinking:

1 Like

Just because the ability/capacity is built into something, doesnā€™t mean you always have to use it. That top speed translates into reserve energy at more normal speeds.

IE: Your only way to avoid being clipped or broadsided by someone else is to floor it out of there.

People focus too much on the maximum, top, capability of something. Itā€™s not all about going fast, sometimes.

Despite making a huge number of posts on this theme, how many forum members do you think that you have actually convinced to drive slower than the speed limit? I would wager that the actual number is zero.

We get it:
You are obsessed with this topic.
There is no need to repeat itā€¦ endlessly.

4 Likes

Nor will I merge onto an interstate in front of an 18 wheeler 10 MPH slower than the truck.

1 Like

Well, Iā€™m about to drop a shocker on yā€™alls ā€¦

I onramp and merge at a higher speed than I drive - on multi-lane limited access highways!

And that is so DANGEROUS - especially on highways where everyone else is going above the speed limit. Itā€™s far far SAFER to travel at the prevailing speed then be that rock in the stream that everyone has to maneuver around.

3 Likes

A million wrongs donā€™t make it right.

And at least Iā€™m not ā€œthat guyā€ who is cruising posted speed limit in one of the lanes to my left.

By driving the way I do, I spend less time in clumps of traffic ahead. Construction/closed lane clumps, incident clumps, mystery clumps.

When I see a chorus of brake lights a half mile ahead of me, Iā€™m already coasting down in anticipation of the clump. By the time I get up toā€¦ waitā€¦

ā€¦what clump?!

The clump dissolved as I SLOWLY made my way up to it!

And I nary touched the brake pedal.